British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My african cichlids have been glancing and staying at the top of the tank the last few days. I added an airstone thinking maybe they needed more air, but it hasn't helped thus far. The tank is 80 gallons running an ac30 (hob), afluval 405, and a sponge filter. The temp is 80 degrees and doesn't change much. The water parameters are as follows
PH- 7.5
KH- 120ppm
GH- 220ppm
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- 0-5ppm

I know the KH is low but I don't know how to safely raise it. If you have any help please let me know

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
how can you have zero on all anmonia nitrite and nitrate. Without showing nitrate, your tank is not cycled. But you have no anmonia nor nitrite. What kind of test you are using?

When african are staying on top, it usually means the water parameter is not right. How long has the tank been cycled? how new are the fish?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tank has been cycled more then 2 years, Im using API test kits all just over 2 months old

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I added one fish about a week ago, but this didnt start till 2 days ago

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
The tank has been cycled more then 2 years, Im using API test kits all just over 2 months old
Chances are you are using the NO3 test kit wrong. The bottles must be shaken for some time to get any result other than 0. Chances are this may be the issue.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill do it again

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok you are right, I obviously didnt shake the test solution well enough, now it is showing a nitrate of 20ppm

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
every 4 days i take out 20%, I did one yesterday as I was worried about the wierd behavior

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
seachem marine buffer, buffers to 8.3 then i use a kh boost made by nutrafin to try to keep it up

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it looks like they are scratching their faces on stuff not there whole body

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Sounds like you have gill flukes, very common in African Cichlids. Clout, Prazipro or Fluke tabs will clear it up. You need to get something in there tomorrow by the sounds of it. The flukes anchor onto the gills and extract oxygen which is why they are breathing heavy. No good.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
will jungle parasite clear, acriflavin, or o the blue ich treatment help until then?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Doubtful. Flukes are very strong and are usually only disrupted by Fluke specific medications. Nothing you have mentioned will likely have effect.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
okill pick some stuff up tomorrow and ill keep you posted as to the result

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Definitely go with Fluke based meds as Grant suggested. You dont want to risk anything.

I hope the all everything turns out well. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I added clout, how long does it usually take to show improvements?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts