British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for expert advice on sexing my Electric Blue Ram.

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yup.. It looks like a young female. Rounder belly, shorter fins more rounder body. All signs of a female. Oh yeah, not as bright coloured

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if it is indeed a female, when should i buy a male for her?

·
Registered
267 Posts
They are not aggressive so getting her a mate the sooner the better. Just make sure their size is not too far from each other. Good luck

·
Registered
379 Posts
It may look like young female, however the one I have was looking like that. Couple weeks later it become clear it is male.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm. i guess i'll wait a few more weeks to be sure. then i'll goto aprils to find her a mate.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you can afford it, and if you have the tank space, the most reliable method of getting a pair is to buy multiple specimens and wait for them to pair off. I've heard people hypothesize that this method also creates stronger pair bonds - but I don't know if there is any data to support that.

I'm sorry I can't help you with actually sexing your current fish - I've only limited experience with the GBR or EB variant - and I don't believe I ever had them spawn for me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you indeed have female that thing will be much easier if you want to have breeding pair.

Finding female EBR in lfs is really hard. April know how many time I went over to her shop when she has new shipment as I am looking for girl as well. The EBR shipping she received either are all male of too young to sex them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts