British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i got a 50 gallon salt water tank . i was told 5 cups of marine salt for 50 gallons. but i read somewhere it is 25 cups
help and a quick response will be great

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a hydrometer that's it so that's what i have to use
i have fish waiting to go back in this tank i need a fast response

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Each brand of marine salt has its own particular mixing instructions which you should follow. In any event, get a hydrometer (or better a refractometer) and make sure you end up with an SG of 1.024 to 1.026.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the salt brand is instant ocean . is 25 cups right for 50 gallons this is my first salt water tank

·
Registered
773 Posts
1/2 cup per Gallon. I used this but still had to tweak the end results a bit. So yah 25 for 50 should work.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
1/2 cup per US gallon according to the side of one of my empty IO buckets so 25 cups for 50 gallons is correct. Regardless, always check SG carefully after thorough mixing. With a hydrometer this means tapping out ALL the air bubbles and ensure you are measuring heated (~78F) SW because SG varies with temperature.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sweet its reading good now my baby girl is freaking out. nemo in there and she is so happy and the tank is in her room

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Also Johnny not sure if you know this or not but if this is that free tank that was up it looked like it could use alot more LR. You need about 1lb/gallon. Anything that either Seahorse fanantic or fkshiu tell you listen, they are pretty much the top guys on this site for that kindof info. They really know their stuff when it comes to the salty side of things.

·
Registered
773 Posts
If you weren't joking its Live Rock.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
never had salt water tank in my life. very first tank so all the info gonna help

·
Registered
773 Posts
Wow you crazy just jumped right in on this one, you better get doing your research. We are just starting one and everything is still so confusing. By the way what a score on a free salty.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also Johnny not sure if you know this or not but if this is that free tank that was up it looked like it could use alot more LR. You need about 1lb/gallon. Anything that either Seahorse fanantic or fkshiu tell you listen, they are pretty much the top guys on this site for that kindof info. They really know their stuff when it comes to the salty side of things.
sweet thanks

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow you crazy just jumped right in on this one, you better get doing your research. We are just starting one and everything is still so confusing. By the way what a score on a free salty.
i got so so much stuff lucked out for sure . thanks Joel very generous guy for sure

·
Registered
773 Posts
how many watts does coral need to thrive i mean live rock
Live rock and fish just need light to see, when you get into all the corals different ones require different lighting,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts