British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I was referred to BCA by Island Pets Unlimited. I have had a small planted aquarium for a few years and want to go bigger and get me some Discus. I am just getting things started and have lots of questions re substrate, best filters, best lighting, etc.

I have 2 albino corys, 2 horseface loaches, 3 chinese algea eaters, 3 frogs, just bought 1 bristlenose and the star of my tank (and who started all this) - Elvis, my fighting fish. I got Elvis as a mother's day gift 2 years ago. started out with one of those really small beta homes and am looking to house them all in a 45 to 55 gallon with discus. My plants are doing quite well so want to go with a planted tank.

I live in Maple Ridge on a small hobby farm and work in Vancouver.

Colleen B.

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Welcome to BCA, glad island pets could pass you along to our forum, they are one of our sponsors here as well :)

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
welcome...

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Welcome, Colleen B!
I laughed when I read that your aquarium hobby started with Elvis in a betta bowl. That happens to so many people -- those beautiful little bettas should come with a warning label: "Caution, may be addictive!"

I am sure that you'll enjoy your time here at BCA. I find that I learn something almost every day. Although I've had fish for many years, in the few months that I've been on the forum I've learned so many new things, especially about planted tanks.

Maureen

Hi everyone,

I was referred to BCA by Island Pets Unlimited. I have had a small planted aquarium for a few years and want to go bigger and get me some Discus. I am just getting things started and have lots of questions re substrate, best filters, best lighting, etc.

I have 2 albino corys, 2 horseface loaches, 3 chinese algea eaters, 3 frogs, just bought 1 bristlenose and the star of my tank (and who started all this) - Elvis, my fighting fish. I got Elvis as a mother's day gift 2 years ago. started out with one of those really small beta homes and am looking to house them all in a 45 to 55 gallon with discus. My plants are doing quite well so want to go with a planted tank.

I live in Maple Ridge on a small hobby farm and work in Vancouver.

Colleen B.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Welcome =)
I'm sure you'll find it helpful reading the stickies that Niklefire posted in the plant section!
Maybe check out www.tankspiration.com, these guys are all on the forums, and have tons of ideas and neat experiments they do! =) Good part is, they're local!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Welcome :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome, glad to meet another Island Pets Unlimited customer.

·
Super Moderator
5,277 Posts
Welcome to BCA, Colleen.

We are an amalgamation of many different hobbyists here. There are dwarf shrimp, planted tanks, cichlid, goldfish/koi, pleco, catfish, betta, oddball, community, marine (FOWLR), and reef enthusiasts to name a few.

Enjoy your time here :)!

Stuart

1 - 20 of 29 Posts