British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In January or February of this year, 5 or 6 months ago, I made my re-entry into the world of aquaria after a 20 year hiatus.

Many of you are probably aware of my Mr. Aqua 12g long tank, which I started with. It was a low tech planted tank, a setup that was only meant to cost $200-300. Soon I upgraded to DIY CO2. Then a 8g Fluval Flora setup. Then a 26g rimless planted. The a full blown pressurized CO2 setup. $1300 I find myself once again upgrading.

I found the smaller 12g long too difficult to manage (high maintenance and constant algae issues). The 26g is great but I find the footprint too small for a dutch-ish planted setup with collectoritus.

So here I am now, with a brand new 48g starphire rimless tank (a copy of the ADA 90p): 90x45x45cm.

I have started building a DIY ADA style stand to go with it:

Equipment:

Tank: ADA style 48g starphire - 90x45x45cm
Light: 2x Beamworks 36" 6500k LEDs
Filter: Odyssea CR500 canister filter
Substrate: EcoComplete substrate
CO2: 10lb pressurized CO2 (Aquatek Premium regulator)
Heater: 150w Ebo Jager

More to come.. I can't wait to flood this tank.. I will probably move most of my plants from the 26g into this one and repurpose the 26g as a simpler nature style scape with it.

And here is some of my inspiration:

Tranquility - A colourful island [200L] - Aquarium Plants
Mr. Aqua 48G Rimless...
Crystal River Shore - Aquarium Plants
UDGags-125g Aquarium - Aquarium Plants
unirdna's ADA 90P

And of course, Tom Barr's 120g masterpiece:

120 with lots of Harliquens - Aquarium Plants

·
Registered
293 Posts
This is very exciting! I look forward to seeing updates for this tank. Any reason why you chose EcoComplete over other substrates such as ADA aquasoil?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I chose EcoComplete because I'm a cheapass.. Haha. I cannot justify the price of Aquasoil. I've been using EcoComplete with EI dosing for 4 months now and it's been working out great so far.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Great choice on the tank. I knew you'd get there :) I still feel there are some advantages of ADA over Ecocomplete that are worth biting the bullet over. Or you can do what some of us do and that is mix both to get the advantages of the different substrates.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picked some really beautiful pieces of manzanita this afternoon from a craigslist ad. $60 for two pieces. Help me decide on a hardscape!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
definitely #4

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great choice on the tank. I knew you'd get there :) I still feel there are some advantages of ADA over Ecocomplete that are worth biting the bullet over. Or you can do what some of us do and that is mix both to get the advantages of the different substrates.
Planted tanks are a dangerous thing.. luckily the boss forced me to shut down some tanks before I got this one!

I like the idea of mixing Aquasoil with EcoComplete.. perhaps I will do that.

definitely #4
I was hoping you would say that :) I definitely like this one the best as well..

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Planted tanks are a dangerous thing..
Lol. Read my signature. I feel your pain :)

Ada to keep the acidity lower, high in nutrients, and for ease of planting (personal opinion on the latter). Eco for cost and for resorption (?) and storage of excess nutrients. Some people say they like the look of the mix too.

Reactions: opt-e

·
Registered
466 Posts
Tank looks promising already! I also like #4.

I have eco complete in one tank and ADA in another (both small, so not pricey!) and if I ever get another tank I would go for eco complete in a second (though I wish it came in a paler colour!). Now I'm a newbie and so keep that in mind but I find ADA difficult to deal with because it's so light.

Reactions: opt-e

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Dawna, thanks for the inspirations! Do you have links to the ones you posted? The second one is very similar to Crystal River Shore which I adore: http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/14106-Crystal-River-Shore.

Flipping the upside down on the flat ends did cross my mind and I really enjoy the look of the one you posted. I will give that a try and post some pics for feedback.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Soon..!

I just came back from vacation in Maui. The stand is ready, minus the doors. This afternoon I put the tank on the stand to see how it looks.. Will post a pic later but I think its pretty sharp looking.

I still need to find something to use as a mat under the aquarium. Then I need to figure out a game plan on how I'm going to go about shutting down my 26g and moving everything over. Will probably need to find a whole day free to do it all in one shot.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here's a pic of the tank on the stand. I started construction of the stand before I had the tank and it's probably about 1cm wider than the tank but it doesn't really bother me. I also made a light hanger out of 1/2" steel conduit. Will post a pic of that later.

And what I'm thinking about using as an aquarium mat.. Thoughts?? LOL. Its about 8mm thick.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Spent 5 hours today shutting down my 26g and setting up this tank...

Don't mind the temporary rocks holding down the driftwood..

The fish seem to love thier new/bigger space. Can't wait for it to grow in!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts