British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank used to have fish with whole in head. They seem to be doing good right now. No deaths , good appetite but they still show the scars.

Is it a good idea to add more fish to this same aquarium? I have a group of blue dophins that were doing out in the 20 gallon....they are running out of space. I need to either get a bigger tank or move them to this 110gallon or sell them off. I do not want to see any of them get the disease.

Once the fish are doing well has the hole in the head parasite been killed off?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Are the holes healing over or just no longer getting bigger?

I am by no means an expert, but my understanding is that hole in the head often occurs when fish are stressed out or otherwise not kept in ideal conditions. It's not something that typically affects a fish that is healthy, but rather, it occurs when their immune system is compromised. If that is the case, than adding the fish should be fine as long as whatever was previously going on has been solved and the fish in that tank currently are doing well.

Did you figure out why your fish got it in the first place? I had a battle with hole in the head for years with my tapajos and angels until I increased my filtration and modified the hardness of my water. After doing so, my fish began healing within weeks (theres barely a mark where the holes used to be) and they all started spawning after never spawning for years. Festivums, angels, tapajos and parrot cichlids all spawned within about 2 weeks of making these changes. It was hugely eye-opening for me.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Do 25 to 50% water changes every week and add salt. Hole in head is often caused by poor quality water. How many fish are in the tank now? What size? What are you feeding? What are your filters?

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
swing by I have a 48 with the equipment you can have. Its the hagen that was under the counter. I took it down a couple months ago. Its heavy tho, so if u can stop on your way home one day or on the weekend I can get Dave to help you load it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.