British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With advancing in leds, we are now able to more or less control how much light we shine into our aquariums.
Its no longer full blown, all lights on in every corner of the tank.

So im wondering if it really matters between a brightly tank vs dimly lit?

Obviously for plant keepers you'd require the bright lighting, but for freshwater fish keepers, how bright are your tanks?

Most of the fish we keep naturally come from water depths deeper than 3-4ft. so is it really necessary to keep such a brightly lit tank especially if you dont keep plants?

Personally, i've noticed that my fish seems a bit more at ease with the dim lights.
If you've followed the led post posted a few weeks ago, i picked up a beamswork fixture with "daylight and nightlight" functions. I've so far only use the "nightlight" function. Just wondering if its sufficient enough. But personally i feel its more natural looking.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I figure i have moderate lighting, but i do have a well planted tank. Some of my fish like the bright areas, but i'd say that most of them prefer the more dimly lit areas under plant coverage. If your fish seem happier with the lower lighting then I'd stick with that. I agree that it looks more natural and overall i'd say it depends on what type of fish you have and what they prefer. As they say... "Happy fish = Happy life"!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts