British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a couple of tests (ammonia and nitrite) that don't have any sort of date on them. How do I know if they're still testing properly?

Also, for ones that have a date, is there any stretch room for using it after the date? My nitrate test says it's best used before the end of April, 2010. Is it OK to still use it?

I'm thinking of getting new tests - I'm thinking the 5 in 1 strips. I know they're more expensive, but I don't test that often, and I think they'll just be a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Take a sample to your lfs and have them do a test on your water and then compare with your test strips. As for the date on yours I would just buy a new set,not worth the worrying about it being good or not.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lucky, that's exactly what I was thinking of doing :)

Maybe it's a silly question, but what is the best kind of container to bring the water in?

·
Registered
916 Posts
if there is not a exp. date on it ,look for a lot #. check the manufacturers web site ,they usually have lot # exp.dates.
As far as due dates...usually a bout 3 years after production...?...I really don't think it would hurt to use it for a month or so after.Its not like its gonna rot 2 days after :D.
Kinda like the milk container the day after its still good ...even more :D.
They gotta put some kinda date on it ....usually 80 percent or so of the expected "lifespan" of the product.
Best container to use is one that doesn't leak ;).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know, thanks Aquaman :)

So, say a little jar or something would be just fine I guess?
We have lots of little jars o_o

1 - 8 of 8 Posts