British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
i can blow up a picture of my ex if u like, i am sure they will all scatter :bigsmile:. Seriously though, i have heard that they are scared of Coytoes so if you can get a product that spreads their scent around (like urine ) or something maybe that would be a better alternative. Just an idea

·
Registered
11 Posts
Only electric fence works around here.
I know people that tried dog and coyote urine, it worked for a while, but the racoons came back. The smell was terrible to people as well.
You can see videos on youtube how the racoons are playing with the water scarecrow:)
Since I put an electric fence I haven't seen any signs of them playing in my pond.
I have it on a timer so it wont shock my kids during the day:)
Cheers and good luck

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
How do you know your kids weren't eating the fish in that case?

j'king, I love raccoons because they're little devils, but I'd definitely be pissed if I had a pond.

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
I have a wooden framed chickenwire cover. When I had a family of ***** in my shed, I used a pellet gun to frighten off the mom and she took the kits with her. My PITA neighbour called the RCMP but the officers who came were nice and understanding since one had a raccoon problem as well. Since then, I load the shed with moth balls, which they hate. Try hanging bags of moth balls around the pond. Worked great for me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I lost dozens of big goldfish to raccoons. I then covered my pond with a plastic mesh I got from home Depot. Anchored it down with slate rocks. No problem since.

(Yes I know I'm 2 years late to respond, lol)

Reactions: mrbob

·
Registered
553 Posts
We tried the same but it was useless as the Raccoons started jumping on top and smashing the mesh - and they were able to go in and eat the Goldfish and Koi. The pond ended up looking very unsightly (with the mesh on top).

We ended up removing the pond after massive sized Herons, Bears, and Deers joined the Raccoons - coming in feasting on fishes and drinking from the pond.

·
Registered
265 Posts
All you need to do is put a simple net stretched over sides where they access your pond when their feet gets caught in there it scares them away, it has worked for me in my pond for years it can scare away birds too..

·
Registered
553 Posts
Have a look at the video - 1.12 mins in the clip - they were walking on top of mesh.

They often jump and land on the mesh - dismantling the whole structure - : ).

These guys are very good swimmers.

·
Registered
514 Posts
perhaps a rottweiler would make a nice pet, and solve your problem haha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try a piece of bread with peanut butter and a load of chillie peppers and roll into a ball buddy is a land scupper and he problems with the ***** rolling up the freshly laid grass to get the worms in a multi million dollar house and was getting frustrated going back to fix it and he did that they never came back they remember that when got sting ring

1 - 20 of 59 Posts