British Columbia Aquariums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Depending on what size the pond is and how big the fish are, you can build lots of hiding spots for the fish like big rock caves which the racoons can't get into

·
Registered
459 Posts
I covered my pod with a net. But after 3 years they somehow got in and had a feast (as per my signature block below). I can't stand them. They also shit on my deck every week!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I hope I am not making this up, but I seem to remember a device that could 'electrocute' the water, the fish were unaffected but any grounded animal (human included) reaching in to the water would get a shock. no unsightly wire if this is true. Anyone else heard of this? maybe just my imagination...

·
Registered
578 Posts
I covered my pod with a net. But after 3 years they somehow got in and had a feast (as per my signature block below). I can't stand them. They also shit on my deck every week!
I was watching "monsters inside me" , I think on Discovery. They say 80% of raccoons have worms in their feces that can and will infect humans. These parasites can live in the lawn for 2 yrs, waiting for a host.
Nasty

Here is a good read from the CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/baylisascaris/gen_info/faqs.html

·
Registered
66 Posts
Princess Auto for electric shocker - smallest one around $40 plus whatever wire you require. Other good and dependable option is shotgun ;)
Yup, on the shotgun! :bigsmile: Or a sweet, quiet crossbow! ;)

Seriously though, the Koi place here in K-Town says that electric fence won't work on *****. The best way, besides the above, is to have steep, straight sides to you pond so they can't stand in the water to go fish'n.

When I finally get around to building another pond here, I'll declare all out war on these pests! They almost killed our Samoyed dog while he was scrap'n with them and they ruined my pond! I may use a live trap, but they may not come out of it alive! Not for long anyway. Just say'n! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
6,609 Posts
Yup, on the shotgun! :bigsmile: Or a sweet, quite crossbow! ;)

Seriously though, the Koi place here in K-Town says that electric fence won't work on *****. The best way, besides the above, is to have steep, straight sides to you pond so they can't stand in the water to go fish'n.

When I finally get around to building another pond here, I'll declare all out war on these pests! They almost killed our Samoyed dog while he was scrap'n with them and they ruined my pond! I may use a live trap, but they may not come out of it alive! Not for long anyway. Just say'n! :cool:
Crossbow sounds sweet. I've tried pellet guns but it only discourages them for a little bit and if you have @sshole neighbours, you get a nice visit from the RCMP for your troubles.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yup, on the shotgun! :bigsmile: Or a sweet, quite crossbow! ;)

I disagree with the electric fence not working.
I had ***** going into my garbage cans 5 yrs ago. So I got a fencer and a metal garbage can. Put the can on a rubber mat and wet the cement floor. Wired it up and the ***** never ever came back to raid my garbage can.
Its a non issue now with the municipal cans.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I disagree with the electric fence not working.
I had ***** going into my garbage cans 5 yrs ago. So I got a fencer and a metal garbage can. Put the can on a rubber mat and wet the cement floor. Wired it up and the ***** never ever came back to raid my garbage can.
Its a non issue now with the municipal cans.
That right there is awesome! :bigsmile: Good to hear it works! I know an electrician that did that to a dog that kept piss'n on his garbage can. Ya, zapped his "noodle" real good!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know it may sound stupid at this point, but won't it be enough to provide the fish with enough hiding holes? big PVC tubes, vases, other hiding places?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yup! ***** are smart little buggers also. I'm sure they know how to attract fish from out under their cover. They don't just get fat from all the stink'n "do gooders" that feed them!!! I'm surprised this thread hasn't brought out some of these "do gooders"!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Are there really any do gooders when it comes to racoons and ponds? I HATE herons and I'm not ashamed to say it. I wouldn't want them hurt but a good scare I could deal with and with a smile! I'd rather have a raccoon problem than have to deal with Herons. Also a side note, racoons are spiteful and will come back for revenge lol!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 59 Posts