British Columbia Aquariums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,609 Posts
I say post "Delicious raccoon recipes" online and see if this has any effect on the **** population.

I'm going to set up an electric fence this week and hopefully teach the local ***** a lesson. Going to eventually wire up my whole backyard and have it on a timer. I would love to set up a motion sensor to a digital camera to record what happens to the ***** when they first touch the live wire. Also bought galvanized chicken wire at Country Feeds today while I was out in the Langley/Aldergrove area. I can hook up the zapper to the chicken wire and really give them a shock. Hate these buggers.

BTW, the only thing I don't like about Hope for Wildlife is that this animal rescue center takes in dozens of orphan raccoons, raise them, imprint them on humans as sources of food, then release the buggers into the local area for all the people living there to have to deal with for years to come. I would be catching them back up and dropping them back at the shelter and tell them NOT in my neighbourhood.

Anthony

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
I watch Hope for wildlife and I've never yet seen them being released into populated neighbourhoods always into forested areas where there is lakes and streams for these animals to eat from. But I do agree when they get into ponds they can make a h*ll of a mess doing their natural instincts of hunting for food. I lost 4 large turtles years ago out of my pond in Burnaby, frustrating for sure. Electric zapper fence should do the trick, worked for me. You could also put up a sign saying "Raccoons caught on this property will be made into Davy Crockett hats". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I watch Hope for wildlife and I've never yet seen them being released into populated neighbourhoods always into forested areas where there is lakes and streams for these animals to eat from. But I do agree when they get into ponds they can make a h*ll of a mess doing their natural instincts of hunting for food. I lost 4 large turtles years ago out of my pond in Burnaby, frustrating for sure. Electric zapper fence should do the trick, worked for me. You could also put up a sign saying "Raccoons caught on this property will be made into Davy Crockett hats". :rolleyes:
That's assuming the raccoons these days are old enough to know who is Davy Crockett ;)

·
Registered
578 Posts
I say post "Delicious raccoon recipes" online and see if this has any effect on the **** population.

I'm going to set up an electric fence this week and hopefully teach the local ***** a lesson. Going to eventually wire up my whole backyard and have it on a timer. I would love to set up a motion sensor to a digital camera to record what happens to the ***** when they first touch the live wire. Also bought galvanized chicken wire at Country Feeds today while I was out in the Langley/Aldergrove area. I can hook up the zapper to the chicken wire and really give them a shock. Hate these buggers.
Anthony
Don't forget to put the wire/chicken wire on insulators and not to have any part of it touching the ground nor vegetation. Otherwise it will not work i.e. zap them.
For more effect, prior to turning on the fence, wet the ground either side of the wire. equals greater jolt

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Don't forget to put the wire/chicken wire on insulators and not to have any part of it touching the ground nor vegetation. Otherwise it will not work i.e. zap them.
For more effect, prior to turning on the fence, wet the ground either side of the wire. equals greater jolt
yes........ never pee on an electric fence system boys.

·
Registered
20 Posts
YOU CAN STOP THEM BY;
Netting - Covering your pond with netting, particularly at night, when predators are most active, is an excellent way to control most predators. Netting can also be used seasonally, for example, during spring and fall when animals are most active.

Decoys - Some predators like herons are territorial and will not intrude on an area they perceive as already dominated by one of their kind. Others simply won't risk attack from a natural rival like a snake or owl. These are all available as decoys and work very well. For optimum effect, they need to be moved about frequently so that predators don't catch on.

Alternative food and water - Remote placement of bird feeders and waterers at the opposite side of your property can draw predators away from your pond.
Pond Plants

Repellents - Repellents use smell and taste to ward off predators like deer, squirrels, and raccoons. They are very versatile because they can be applied wherever you desire. For best results, they should be renewed at intervals or after rain.

Hiding places - Predators cannot eat your fish if they cannot catch them. Make sure your pond provides plenty of floating vegetation for your fish to hide under, and structure to dive below. Sections of wide diameter black PVC tubing can be placed inconspicuously on the bottom of your pond. These have the added advantage of providing good habitat for your fish. If you encounter an agile predator like an otter, consider a fish refuge, which is a hard mesh cage that allows fish in but keeps predators out.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just wondering . . . Is there a SEE-THROUGH glass pane option? (Nice deck, but the wire mesh really detracts from the look of the pond - to me, anyway.)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I still have to spray paint the cage midnight black. You could use plexiglass, but the bigger pieces are heavier? With the cage being attached to the wood frame. It is excessively heavy for raccoons, skunks and herrings.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,609 Posts
My bloody raccoons chewed through the metal chicken wire so this spring I will have to set up the electric fence when there's no more worries about snow.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Chances are Plexiglass (or other thick plastics) will go milky colour when exposed to the elements. Thinner window pane glass, I would think, would be easier to keep clear and heavy enough to stay down (since it would weigh more than the chicken wire).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a good laugh reading this threat...ah memories... I waged war with raccoons a few years ago and lost. Picture me lying in wait by the window all night with a bb gun (yeah, they brushed it off). Anyway, I gave up on my little raised water feature, as it wasn't worth the aggravation. I even had a mesh cover at one point as pictured above, and the dang raccoon pooped through it into my water. He was telling me what he thought of that!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
There's a house near our place that built this pretty concrete above ground pond. Very long. They had a rail system that held tempered glass panels that could be slid open as desired. Very neat

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
My parents for years just dropped feeder goldfish in their pond replacing once per year as raccoons and herons took them all.
So I dumped about 10 rosy red minnows in, they seem to dart fast enough that they’ve had them breeding in there for several years now. Big ones seem to get pecked off, but there’s often babies and they don’t get eaten.
There are hiding spots and plenty of cover, yet not enough cover for common goldfish. Worth a try.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts