British Columbia Aquariums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
i tell my wife u buy shoes i buy fish
I buy shoes AND fish! :lol:

Seriously, though, we both have hobbies that have their own expenses and we both have jobs, so once the bills and savings are covered, we don't have to account to each other about our spending.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
My girlfriend is pretty understanding about my fish addiction. I can see she thinks Im nuts but as Dino mentioned I could be doing a lot worse things.

I have a few tricks I use now when buying new fish. When I buy equipment I find it easier to not tell here. Some things are better left untold!!!

My fish trick is: Buy the fish. Bring it home. Open the garage and check to make sure shes not around. Quickly sneak the fish out of the car and into the garage. I wait a few minutes than go inside the house. I give her a kiss than comment on the water being low in one of my tanks. I go back to the garage and grab my fish tank bucket. I casually walk back into the house and fill up the bucket with tank water and return to the garage. I than float the new fish in the bucket for a bit. Than I start mixing bucket water with fish bag water. After 15min I let the fish out of the bag and into the bucket. I than walk calmly back into the house with a full bucket of water (plus fish) and dump him/her into the tank. I than top the tank off with another bucket or 2. I crack up everytime because it works like a charm. The best part is when she sees the new fish in the tank a month later and asks when did I get that fish? I tell her awhile ago. LOL. No lying. Im telling the truth. :)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
lol hahahahaha This is my method as well! My wife does not pay attention to what fishes are in my tanks!
I wish I can do that with the nano tank(fluval or most likely eheim aquastyle) that i'm planing to get this weekend! :)

My girlfriend is pretty understanding about my fish addiction. I can see she thinks Im nuts but as Dino mentioned I could be doing a lot worse things.

I have a few tricks I use now when buying new fish. When I buy equipment I find it easier to not tell here. Some things are better left untold!!!

My fish trick is: Buy the fish. Bring it home. Open the garage and check to make sure shes not around. Quickly sneak the fish out of the car and into the garage. I wait a few minutes than go inside the house. I give her a kiss than comment on the water being low in one of my tanks. I go back to the garage and grab my fish tank bucket. I casually walk back into the house and fill up the bucket with tank water and return to the garage. I than float the new fish in the bucket for a bit. Than I start mixing bucket water with fish bag water. After 15min I let the fish out of the bag and into the bucket. I than walk calmly back into the house with a full bucket of water (plus fish) and dump him/her into the tank. I than top the tank off with another bucket or 2. I crack up everytime because it works like a charm. The best part is when she sees the new fish in the tank a month later and asks when did I get that fish? I tell her awhile ago. LOL. No lying. Im telling the truth. :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
The girlfriend and I do everything together, so once I got back into aquariums and got her involved(Explaining everything as I do it, talking fish, letting her pick things out.) she was right into it. Setting everything up with me, going on outings to fish stores, helping with maintenance ect ect (We are even planning a vacation around going to see some fish in the wild). Heck she's even on her way to starting a SW tank before me! This is a great hobby for couples, just got to get everyone involved.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
The girlfriend and I do everything together, so once I got back into aquariums and got her involved(Explaining everything as I do it, talking fish, letting her pick things out.) she was right into it. Setting everything up with me, going on outings to fish stores, helping with maintenance ect ect (We are even planning a vacation around going to see some fish in the wild). Heck she's even on her way to starting a SW tank before me! This is a great hobby for couples, just got to get everyone involved.
My girlfriend was into it at the start aswell but after awhile she became less interested. She knows lots about fish now. I became more interested and maybe a little obsessed with new fish and plants. She than started to see how much I was spending. Now I hide the new fish because its easier that way. :)

We arn't married yet but we have both agreed it would be awesome to go to Africa for a honeymoon. Lake Maawi in paticular. I want to swim with the Africans, she is excited to aswell. Have fun on your vacation.

If your girlfriend is really interested in fish thats awesome. Not everyone gets as excited about fish as some of us do. If she sets up a SW that would be pretty cool. My girlfriend isn't into fish that much. Plus if she did decide to setup a tank I know Id be the one looking after the tank 6 months down the road LOL

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
lol hahahahaha This is my method as well! My wife does not pay attention to what fishes are in my tanks!
I wish I can do that with the nano tank(fluval or most likely eheim aquastyle) that i'm planing to get this weekend! :)
If the tank is big, it makes it easier to sneak them in. Im always getting new Africans and selling old ones so she has a hard time keeping track. :)

Good luck with the new tank. Hopefully your trick will work with the nano SW. You could always tell her the coral grew over a couple days. Fish might be a little trickier to sneak in :)

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Simple

I built her a reef tank

(Now has coast to coast overflow, custom built 20x18x14 sump, speed wave dc return pump, maxspect razor 16000k led, mp10, etc etc etc)

I ran out of room in my nano tank so it's a good place for me to put all my sps

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
My wife rarely looks at the fish/tank so doesn't matter what I buy, she won't even notice any new addition. I never have to convince her so I don't know how to answer this one. Actually she was the one that convinced me to get the 120G and 135G.... so she could do more shopping without me yepping at her. Lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a couple of suggestions:
1. Complain that the equipment you have sucks (or too old) and it might result in a disaster if not rectified.
2. If you buy something and she asks, tell her the truth... it was on sale ;-)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
If the tank is big, it makes it easier to sneak them in. Im always getting new Africans and selling old ones so she has a hard time keeping track. :)

Good luck with the new tank. Hopefully your trick will work with the nano SW. You could always tell her the coral grew over a couple days. Fish might be a little trickier to sneak in :)
We( I and 2 girls) have decided to do pea puffer tank as per other BCA member's suggestion/advice. I got an used Fluval Edge 12 tank from another member. Even before I got out of car, my girls ran to my wife and " we got Alicia's tank!!!" so there goes sneaking(?) the tank in lol. she was ok though. I told 2 small pea puffers and that's it! :) have not mentioned about eco complete though lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
For me sneaking in a 55 gal tank to go by the sofa was going to be a little difficult.

The truth was I really needed to cut down on the work it took to water change the 30 gal and the 16 gal. All the fish from both tanks went into the 55, plus a new flag and 3 ottos (which I traded for plants and driftwood I had). My mom helped out buying the extras, and I explained what a good deal the tank was... (it really was a good deal) maybe not aaaasssss good as what I told hubby. Once he saw it togther, and how easy it is for me he was happy for me. It's the first time ever I have not been totally forth comming about the $ so I gotta live with that... I have had some of these fishies for 8 years, some have names so no way was I going to get rid of them.

Darn it! I will now have to sign in each time with my password!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think your loved ones should be supportive and understanding about things you're passionate about as long as it's within reason. I've never understood the whole approval from your SO thing. I think they should enjoy seeing you happy and healthy, and if fishkeeping is something that helps you achieve those things, why should they have anything against it?

If a woman ever gives me grief over fishkeeping I don't think she's the one for me, that being said, i'll try not to have more than 15 tanks ;)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well, I think "within reason" is the tough one - what might seem reasonable to someone bitten by MTS might not be to the SO. While we don't even blink an eye when we hear of someone having a "fish room" - I wonder how reasonable we would think a "shoe room" or a "watch room" etc is... :bigsmile:

I think your loved ones should be supportive and understanding about things you're passionate about as long as it's within reason. I've never understood the whole approval from your SO thing. I think they should enjoy seeing you happy and healthy, and if fishkeeping is something that helps you achieve those things, why should they have anything against it?

If a woman ever gives me grief over fishkeeping I don't think she's the one for me, that being said, i'll try not to have more than 15 tanks ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Now Angelica who is 14 months old loves the fish so I get more of the species which are her favorite, which coincidentally (cough cough) are my favorites. Of course her favourite fish changes due to evolving tastes (and whatever Daddy finds online) so I have to buy new fish every once in a while 😉 My wife has more or less given up on telling me what to buy or not buy considering I don't drink, party, smoke etc. My $$ goes towards the house, family & my fish & urban orchard obsessions.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts