British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will my 10 gallon stay cycled without any fish in it?? i just want to know how i can keep my tank cycled without any fish in it... do i need a source of amonia to keep the bacteria going? should i still do weekly water changes? there is only a few plants in the tank right now..

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I buy the "good bacteria" (dunno what it's called). And I just let it sit and let them grow and cycle my tank :D.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
hm so i geuss that means i cannot keep a fish tank with no fish in it cycled,,,, that sucks..

looks like all these questions just tell me how to cycle a tank? or im just trippin out..

question is how do i keep a 10 gallon tank that is already cycled, cycled Without Any fish living in it? maybe put some of those snails in it? i dont want to keep anything in the tank...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
hm so i geuss that means i cannot keep a fish tank with no fish in it cycled,,,, that sucks..

looks like all these questions just tell me how to cycle a tank? or im just trippin out..

question is how do i keep a 10 gallon tank that is already cycled, cycled Without Any fish living in it? maybe put some of those snails in it? i dont want to keep anything in the tank...
Oh sorry. Misread the question. Thought it wasn't cycled already. My bad. I think scholz is correct.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Household ammonia will work. That's what I'm doing now to keep a bunch of sponge filters seeded. No need to change the water, nitrates will be sky high, but it's not harming anything.

If you don't mind snails, you can use a bunch of apple snails too, but you'll need to do water changes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Be Carefull with how much ammonia you put in seeing as how you have plants in there. Are you planning on putting fish in at a later date? You could always try putting in a very small piece of shrimp that will decay, it will keep your tank cycled. Why not just put in a cory or something?

·
Registered
824 Posts
keeping your tank cycled with no fish

martym's suggestion is good. Use a piece of raw shrimp - just replace it with a new piece every few days, allowing it to decay somewhat & then replace with a fresh piece - cycle should maintain.
That's assuming you're not planning to add fish for some time, and don't want to have 1 or 2 live fish in there until you do so.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've always used household ammonia to cycle my tanks.

Try googling "fishless cycling" and you will find hours of reading on this topic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts