British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I LOVE floating plants, but I also have HOB filters and they get drawn towards them and then pushed under, repeat. I just want them to hang out at the top to give cover for the corries to feel safe and for the Endler fry to hide in. Any suggestions.?

Thanks,
Deb

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
A suction cup (or magnetic algae scrapers) with some fishing line looped around the bunch of plants will work. In one of my tanks I've put a front to back piece of plexiglass as a sort of tank divider It goes 3 inches down from the surface. It is 4 inches from the end of the tank, and an Aquaclear is mounted on the end of the tank. It keeps the duckweed away from the filter stream. I will post a picture Monday.

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
I use 3/8" tubing for floating rings they have better 'stopping' power to keep thing in and out.
I use one for a feeding ring in the pond to keep the food / feedng area clear of plants.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the offer Tom, not quite sure what i want to put in yet. although i am leaning towards a water sprite/fern, but not sure i want to deal with trimming it constantly.

·
Registered
410 Posts
fill the waterline right to the output of the HOB. the flow will push the floating plants towards the front of the tank but not under.

·
Registered
20 Posts
To prevent your frogbit from drowning, cut out the top of a Styrofoam cup, floated it in the tank, and used it as a corral for my frogbit. Tie this makeshift corral with thread and tether it to the back of your tank to prevent the corral from drifting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use two drinking straws, one stuffed inside another. Not the prettiest solution but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I just put in a plastic baffle by cutting a plastic water bottle, similar to this. It's working really well, didn't even have to tape it to the lid of my Aquaclear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts