British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a 10g thats currently housing some fish for sale and i was wondering if i could use it to breed shrimps for food for my other cichlid tank once its empty.

how fast do shrimps breed? are there certain species that are more prolific (reproduce more) than others?any species that grow faster than others? any chance a 10g tank could grow a decent amount of food for my 37g cichlid tank?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I don't know about other but the 5 cherry shrimp I started with 3 weeks ago is probably close to 20 now. most are still very small babies, but if you have a good sized colony to start with you I would think you'd get lots.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do the cherry shrimp grow really fast? do some shrimps grow faster than others?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Anything special that the shrimp should be fed once the females drop the shrimplets? I have had a few hatchings but they seem to dissappear after a few days. My tank is a mix of cherrys and red crystals.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm, like have a couple marble crays and feed the cichlids all their young clones? interesting.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Neocaridina Heterepoda, Neocaridina Zhangjiajiensis, Cardina cf. Malawa or Caridina pareparensis (Malawa Shrimp) are the most prolific.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Just get some of the Neocaridina Heterepoda. It doesnt have to be the red cherry or yellow shrimp, you can get the wild ones. Wsl has the wild ones for 75 cents each i think.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Around 1- 2 month initially. It takes 1 month for the female to get with eggs and then 1 month for it to hatch. But once you get started it should take 1.5month for a cycle.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so do u sell shrimp too wsl? which are the cheapest u have? i have some amanos now and theyre cleaning my rocks (the 10/12 that werent eaten are anyways) really well.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok so i have 8 amano shrimp now, and im going to be getting 20 of these cherries from wsl. what water temperature and ph should i have for shrimps?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts