British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to breed Green Terror cichlids?

Would a 65 gallon tank work or would I need my 90 Gallon tank for a pair? (both standard sizes)

And how easy is it to pair them?

If anyone has info or experience it would be much appreciated. I would prefer to use my 65 gallon tank and not the 90.

If someone could tell me how I should set up the tank that would be helpful as well...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
I got a proven pair, threw them in my 70 gallon and they currently have 200 fry. 65 is fine, you should have another pair of fish in there too, it helps in pairing. I had 2 rotkeils, that i later moved to another tank.

Drift wood is a definite plus in my opinion. They might not be a 100% amazon fish, but they are from south america. My tank is set up with lots of large fake plants, and few rocks. The rocks are just to prop the driftwood up so that they can dig a cave for the fry.

Use gravel, although green terrors are usually great parents, it is always good to have little nooks and crannies when the fry are young so they can hide.

Pairing them, as i said, is easiest to do if you have 4 fish in the tank at the beginning. Don't move the second pair until the eggs are layed or it may change the "mood"

I don't know a ton, as i have only done it once now, but this seemed to work :p

Alex

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that helps a lot... I also found breeding info online as well

Stuff like pH of 6.5 and raised temp will 'convince' them to breed easier :D

also a dH of 5-8 helps I read...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts