British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I put the whole question in the title so it's easier.
I got a new bag yesterday and cut much bigger piece then I need for all my fish. How long you think it's safe to keep it in the fridge.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I find the best way to cut it into pieces is to smash the frozen block into pieces while in a baggie, then put it directly back into the freezer.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TomC, yeah, this is what I will do next time, thanks.

2wheelsx2, you got me right, I hate the food and anything to go to waste when it can be used. But of course I don't wanna risk the fish (not that they are expensive, not at all) and that's why I asked.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I use the tabs now, but when I was using big packs, I would just break off rectangular pieces by striking them with my hand against a sharp edge (like the edge of my freezer) and then use the same edge to break off small square pieces. Works like a charm, but does break the bag it comes in sometimes. I didn't car as I resealed them in freezer ziplock bags anyway.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is what I fill will happen with me too. When I ask for the food they gave me that bag, I was in a hurry with the kids, so I got it without checking twice it was a big bag, went at home, cut a piece with my knife for frozed food ... Long story short, I think I will stick with the cubes in the future :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't know what other people do...but I always refreeze stuff (talking about human food). Except for fruit and milk products which changes in texture and consistency. I think people just say don't because it increases the chances for bacteria...but if you've kept it in the fridge and it's in good condition...hasn't gone bad/stink/molded...I THINK you should be able to freeze it.

Rules for refreezing food

Has rules for refreezing food...but I'm pretty sure they're just talking about human food.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts