British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
changing my substrate tomorrow to sand ... i have one 50 pound bag of 3M Colourquartz and 25 pounds of Aqua Terra ... would the one 50 pound bag be enough or should i use the 25 pounds of aqua terra too ... if i need both, should i mix them or layer them ???

·
Registered
271 Posts
i got a 50 pound bag of filter sand did not use the hole thing on my 30g

so 50 pounds will be more then enough

·
Registered
197 Posts
50 Lbs should give you about 1.5 to 2 inches. How deep you want it is up to you. Plants like substrate about three inches deep, but they prefer fine gravel to sand anyway. most tanks I have seen with sand have just a thin layer.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will have live plants but i think i would like at least 2 inches of sand ... if i need 3 inches for plants, will i have to use the other sand, and should i layer or mix ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I used that same calculator and it said 49 pounds for a 2 inch bed (a 30 gal is 36 by 12 inches). Anyway, you can slope sand front to back to get more depth for plant roots. But you should know that deep sand is prone to anaerobic spots, for it's best avoided. Malasian trumpet snails help keep the sand stirred up.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I used that same calculator and it said 49 pounds for a 2 inch bed (a 30 gal is 36 by 12 inches). Anyway, you can slope sand front to back to get more depth for plant roots. But you should know that deep sand is prone to anaerobic spots, for it's best avoided. Malasian trumpet snails help keep the sand stirred up.
LOL, thanks. I used the measurement for a 29 which is only 30" long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts