British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I foolishly purchased three CAEs and now want to get rid of them. Catching them will be very difficult in my heavily planted and wooded aquarium unless someone out there can share their wisdom with me! What is the best way to catch them? BTW, if anyone wants them they can have them for free.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Last time I had to catch mine in my planted tank I used a 6" net I got at a dollar store, set in in an open area and pretty much chased them into the net. Darn things are lightning fast lol Good luck catching them

·
Registered
327 Posts
two nets... one big one to catch them in and a little one to chase them into it

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all! It looks like I will have to be patient and very sneaky, but I think the two net method is a good one.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Try getting a one clear 2 litre pop bottle cut the top (neck end) off invert it and stick it back in the hole. Now bait the bottle with something he likes (algae wafer or something), lay it on the bottom and wait for the greedy little bugger to go in to eat it. Now just reach in and get him out. Don't leave it in overnight as fish can swim in and suffocate from the lack of water exchange.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I DONT THINK he would want his discus up top gasping for air..the pop bottle idea sounds good..
I have used it a few times to catch siamese algae eaters in my planted tanks after they get bigger(read fat and lazy).They seem to be great at first when they are young and smaller but with time they always get fat and lazy, going for the easy meal and ignoring the algae

·
Registered
318 Posts
well dun think u should crank the co2...kinda bad for everything(water parameters..live stock..yada)...the lowering of water level..then the two nets seem pretty ok...bottle idea sounds good, but think if u have other livestock, they might go into the bottle first..lol..i know my amanos will do so..lol

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yeah, if you have other fish or shrimp in there, you might end up with some unintended bycatch. But easy enough to separate them out once caught in the bottle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts