British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few red plants that should be red but isn't so I would like to know besides good lighting what else I should be doing. I dose EI weekly at the moment but that might change. I have a 75 gallon tank with pressurized C02 and ADA soil. I just changed the light strip and its 65 watt 6700K. Its on 10 hours a day. I have two Coralife light fixtures and only changed out the lights on the back one as the plants that need more light is at the back of the tank.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone and I will need to find another hydroponics store since Solar closed down.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I actually started a thread on plantedtank.net last year as I was having trouble with my L. Aromatica not going red. The results were these main points:

1. If you want red plants, get ones that are really red to start with.
2. Make sure you CO2 is bang on (30 ppm). Get a drop checker if you don't have one.
3. Dose DPTA iron (I use Tailored Aquatics right now, but Aquaflora sells DPTA chelated iron which I will try next).
4. Watch your nitrate dosing and try to keep it slightly lower than ideal (around 5 ppm I was told)
5. Get lights that enhance red.

The ones which made the biggest difference for me was 1, 3 and 5.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Its Alternanthera reineckii "pink" and Echinodorus"red diamond".
hmm.... that's odd. i have this plant in a non-dosing tank and still retained its color. mine is Althernanthera "purple" though.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
is the Alternanthera reineckii "pink" even pink at the tips? when i had the plant it would only show colour near the top with the lighting i had, until i added a third cfl then it went halfway with vibrant colour. the bottom still looked washed out though

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
#4 is on the money

I actually started a thread on plantedtank.net last year as I was having trouble with my L. Aromatica not going red. The results were these main points:

1. If you want red plants, get ones that are really red to start with.
2. Make sure you CO2 is bang on (30 ppm). Get a drop checker if you don't have one.
3. Dose DPTA iron (I use Tailored Aquatics right now, but Aquaflora sells DPTA chelated iron which I will try next).
4. Watch your nitrate dosing and try to keep it slightly lower than ideal (around 5 ppm I was told)
5. Get lights that enhance red.

The ones which made the biggest difference for me was 1, 3 and 5.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts