British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to transport a small (10g tank) tank and 4 fish?
My nieces are finally getting their tank back ;)

To bring it here, they drained half the water, left everything, fish, substrate, plants, in the tank and just moved the whole shabang. But that didn't seem like too good an idea to me, not to mention it's really heavy.

I was thinking of putting the fish in a couple of half gallon buckets, and drain the water down at least 3/4 of the way...

What's the best way of moving these guys?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
With a small tank like that just put half the water and fish in a 5g bucket then empty the tank out. Move it then put fish and water back in tank and top off with new water. Essentially all you have done is a good water change doing it this way

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what crossed my mind, except I'd have to lend them one of my 5g buckets, which I use pretty frequently... Which is why I was thinking if I could leave a couple gallons in the tank, plus a gallon or two with the fish in smaller buckets, it might be enough to preserve the bacteria?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Apparently the bacteria is not in the water (well it is but not in large quantities). The majority of the bacteria is in the filter, so as long as you don't do anything with the filter, and done flush it with lots of regular water (i.e. make sure to dechlorinate the new water), you should be ok.

I think leaving 5 gallons in total is ok. So I think what you are doing is totally fine. (i've moved a 30 gallon and only left < 10g in total. Everyone survived the trip)

·
Registered
348 Posts
When I moved my fish, I used a tote,

Helps from water splashing and from fish jumping, just put your sponges from your filter in the tote so the bacteria doesn't die. If your traveling more than 4hours I'd recommend a air stone and maybe a Styrofoam cooler to help the water from getting cold.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Tote is a good idea too!
It's about 2 hours, and today is probably a good day for it too, not too hot, not too cool.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
You can always put the fish in a plastic bag (like the bags fish stores use) and then drain 95% water in the tank and then move. Just have to make sure that you have 25% water and 75% air in the bag. More air = more oxygen available to mix with water.

Tote is a great idea too.

Enjoy your moving :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts