British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought a box of random stuff off someone recently ( needed the light strip, anything else was bonus) and it came with a bag of what i am guessing is some sort of Dry fertilizer. Its a fairly small bag but is priced at 35$ ( which is another reason i think its ferts). The box contained alot of items from island pets unlimited, so i am gonna make a guess that this came from them as well. Unfortunately they shut down so they wont be much help.
So i was wondering if there was anyway of figuring out what it is short of getting its iron, phosphates, etc tested? Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish Baked goods

· Premium Member
5,690 Posts
It looks to be laterite. It is a naturally occurring iron rich rock that is crushed and then used as a sub layer as an iron source.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a pretty good match! im gonna try soaking a small amount of it to see if it dissolves before i try adding it in ( thinking ill go the freeze in an ice tray and add in slowly). This stuff is pretty expensive for such a small bag! :eek:

· Premium Member
5,690 Posts
Laterite is not designed to be a water column additive. When using it, you sprinkle it on a bare bottom tank and then add a substrate cap to keep it in the substrate layers below. It is meant as a root absorbed nutrient for plants.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats fair! I did a little quick research on it. I was thinking id freeze some in an ice cube tray and insert it into the gravel before it melts. Since i wont be growing any intensive carpets and will mostly be putting it near my amazon swords.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.