British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how hot everyone's tanks have been during this "heat wave" (by Vancouver standards anyway)

Mine's at about 81 degrees and the fish are almost motionless along the bottom chilling out :)

I usually keep the tank at 78F so I hope +3 degrees in the short term won't hurt.

·
Super Moderator
5,279 Posts
80 - 83. Good thing I only really have Blue Pearl shrimp now :D!

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
My upstairs tanks are higher than the sticky thermometer will read, so higher than 86 degrees. My main floor tanks are slightly cooler sitting between 84-86 degrees. It just won't cool down in my house ...I really wish that I had air conditioning.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Hot enough to wipe out all but 5 of my 100 or so shrimp.

Bought an air conditioner for my bed room, the last 5 are toughing it out!

·
Registered
491 Posts
ouch. would it be a good idea to turn the heater right down.. or off? or turn the lights off at night... or is it better to leave it so the conditions are steady?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
81F
I have an airconditioner that keeps the room at 25c, but i just like my temperature a little higher =)

·
Registered
318 Posts
mine is at 80-84 range.....room door and both windows open...unplugged heater a long while ago for the summer..and reduced the tank light time...and less feeding/food...

*beep* last year..heat wave....lotsa shrimp didn't make it..ugh...even with a few ice cubes and some cool water top off

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hot enough to wipe out all but 5 of my 100 or so shrimp.

Bought an air conditioner for my bed room, the last 5 are toughing it out!
i had a fan...ice cube...cool water top off..heater off..windows and room door open..reduced the tank light..........still mass casualties last year....wish u luck on ur survivors

·
Banned
1,231 Posts

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
ouch. would it be a good idea to turn the heater right down.. or off? or turn the lights off at night... or is it better to leave it so the conditions are steady?
I'm not sure why people think they have to do anything to their heaters during a heat wave. Heaters are just like your home furnace: they're only on when the temperature drops below what the thermostat is set at. Higher temps mean the heater simply stays off just like your furnace. Only if you're paranoid about the heater sticking on should you unplug your heater - and if you're that paranoid in the first place you should be using a more reliable external heater controller in any event.

The best thing you can do to keep temps down (other than getting A/C or a chiller) is to simply remove all tops from the aquarium and have a fan blowing across the surface of the water. Your aquarium dissipates heat the same way your body does: sweating. Having a top on your aquarium is like you wearing a sweater. Taking the cover off and blowing a fan is like you taking off your shirt and standing in front of a fan. Your evaporation rate will go way up because of this, but this is a good thing during a heat wave because it allows you to add more cold water.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Between 84-86 is where my setup is now.Discus dont mind it one bit and seem active all the time.All other occupants seem to be ok as well.Havent turned off the heater, and i got both canisters with spraybars creating alot of surface movement.Personally i dislike this weather and cant wait for the cool down to begin again.I know its a bit off topic , but this summer has created alot of havoc in this province alone and some rain would make it a bit easier for everyone.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm not sure why people think they have to do anything to their heaters during a heat wave. Heaters are just like your home furnace: they're only on when the temperature drops below what the thermostat is set at. Higher temps mean the heater simply stays off just like your furnace. Only if you're paranoid about the heater sticking on should you unplug your heater - and if you're that paranoid in the first place you should be using a more reliable external heater controller in any event.
thanks. I wasnt sure, I have never done anything, never had a fish die. I was just wondering why people unplug there heaters and if there was a purpoes for doing so, I guess you could turn them down so the water is cooler...

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Its actually better to turn it up. Depending on the weather, if it is hot in the day and cold at night (unlike today, and yesturday as it is hot 24/7) the temperature changes is usually what kills the fish. You will notice it will probably affect a 20 gallon way more than say, a 100 gallon as the temperature can change so much faster. What i do is check the room temperature at the hotest time in the day and take 2 degrees off and set my tanks to that.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Its actually better to turn it up. Depending on the weather, if it is hot in the day and cold at night (unlike today, and yesturday as it is hot 24/7) the temperature changes is usually what kills the fish. You will notice it will probably affect a 20 gallon way more than say, a 100 gallon as the temperature can change so much faster. What i do is check the room temperature at the hotest time in the day and take 2 degrees off and set my tanks to that.
Yup, bad time to be a 10 gallon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My main concern during the heat is dissolved oxygen content. I usually have a koralia pump going about 12 hours a day when the lights are one (they are hooked up to the same timer). Now I just have the pump going 24/7 to keep water circulating near the top of the tank.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree, my tanks are usually running 72-74 range....... last year in the heat I was doing 3x small cold water changes a day to hold the temp down, along with turning off the lights, opening up the top, adding fans to the rooms etc. Tanks where running low 80's during the heat wave.

I also made sure to keep o2 levels up by moving a lot of the filter output's to the water's surface.. (causing a bba oubreak in the process).

this year I purchased and AC for the fishes. All tanks are @ normal temps with the room set at 23 C.... unfortunally I DON'T have an Ac for the living room so it's me that is dying in the heat (more excuse to go look at the fishes).

1 - 20 of 50 Posts