British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here we go again. We had a beautiful little pond about 800g with a little waterfall, various sizes of goldfish, and lots of floating and potted plants. As well as a large piece of driftwood the dog had brought home. Everything was just perfect. Till one day, when we were out, the dog must have gotten bored and decided she wanted her driftwood back. She must have had a blast in the pond. Her driftwood was 3/4 of the way out and most of the floating plants where shreded or gone :eek: The fish were all there just a little shaken up. We cleaned things back up but without most of the floaties the pond surface was very exposed. This is when Mr Heron decided to move into our life and cause us and our fish grief. We started noticing the bigger fish (6-8") were disappearing. Still did not know you the culprit was. Until we discovered a big, at least 2x2, bird poop on the deck :eek: I thought it was from a teradactil!! Guess just saying thanks for lunch. Sightings became more frequent. We put a portable gazebo, zipped right up, over the pond. Still got in somehow :confused: till he depleted 90% of the larger fish. Checking for survivors we found there was still quite a few of the smaller, so we brought them into the house and got the 400g filled up.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hungry Herons (part 2)

I guess i wrote too much, i ran out of space :rolleyes:
On with the story....So Shane decides he is going to outwit this bird and because we love the serenity and presance of a pond, he borrows his bosses little excavator to make an even bigger and deeper pond. If it was up to him the pond would be at least 6ft deep all around, but we have 2 young grandsons and little dogs i would not allow this. Anyways he makes the center of the pond 4 1/2 ft deep, outer edges are shallower, for safety as well as plants. Blah, blah, blah. We finally fill and put some plants and lily pads in as well there is a big branch of a tree over the pond to limit a birds eye view. So in go 4 smaller golfish as a test. They were there for 3 days, now we see none. There is large bird poop at the edge on the dirt. The next step is to set up a motion detecter that sprays water. Although i doubt that will keep them away permanantly. Really don't want to net, as it takes so much away from the pond, but if it comes to that i guess it will have to happen :( We have some beautiful Koi,(thanks Bonai Dave) and more from another member that we don't want to be herons lunch. I suppose we could build a huge gazabo with sreen windows over the big pond. But could be a little costly. I think once these birds have eaten from your pond they remember. I guess to sum it all up, what do other pond people use to deter these pesky birds???? Let us know, please.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My grandfather always used a twelve gauge*, but I think that the decades have made that method extinct.

I know that people with trout ponds run lines of twine across the surface of the pond to prevent predation. I've seen people tie streamers and pie plates to the twine as well. This may be more effective for raptors that swoop and dive than herons though...

*I'm not advocating this, let the herons live :D

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I think that'll all look ugly! I would put a shark in the pond as a good suprise =)

Just kidding.. anyways, maybe get something that packs a powerful bang just to scare them off?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey Shane,

Like the previous poster, I was about to suggest that you call upon your friends, Smith & Wesson or maybe Remington & Browning etc. There is evidence to suggest, though, that if a heron is already occupying a spot at your pond, other herons will not come into the same territory. Therefore, you can set up a nice big decoy heron and place it by the pond, ocassionally moving it to a new location....or ...you can dress up in a heron costume for half the price! LOL!! If you do try the second option, make sure the wife posts some pics!:D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, we have seen the heron decoy ploy. Appearantly it also only works briefly, cause the pic showed the decoy beside the pond while the real one was in the pond :eek: I wonder if a real one hanging from the branch above,
by a noose around its neck might be enough of a deterant. :p
As for the costume, Shane said he will not cross dress. HeHe

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Well.. one thing I remember seeing in Richmond near the ****.. someone had a nice realisitc eagle hanging from the house... i thought it wuz real for a second.. when the wind blows.. the eagle moves... scaring everything away!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well.. one thing I remember seeing in Richmond near the ****.. someone had a nice realisitc eagle hanging from the house... i thought it wuz real for a second.. when the wind blows.. the eagle moves... scaring everything away!
I like this, worth a try :D

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I like this, worth a try :D
=) Can you write my name on top of the eagle so I can take credit! or paint it on top of his face! HAHA J/K!
But if you wanna take a look at this eagle i'm talking about, it's in Richmond South, near Gary Pointe, and it's near the **** trail! =)

·
Registered
327 Posts
You could put up one of those fenceless perimeter things for dogs around your pond and let your dog have free reign of the yard. Herons are probably creatures of habit and it may be just a matter of breaking the habit.

My grandfather always used a twelve gauge*, but I think that the decades have made that method extinct.
it still happens in the valley, in the city handguns are now the preferred means ...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah, the twine is UGLY. Maybe you could use high test mono fishing line.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
You could put up one of those fenceless perimeter things for dogs around your pond and let your dog have free reign of the yard. Herons are probably creatures of habit and it may be just a matter of breaking the habit.

it still happens in the valley, in the city handguns are now the preferred means ...
I smell bbq heron =) who's bring the hotdog buns?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I've had some success by running 4 or 5 parallel trip lines (about 5 inches apart, parallel to the ground and about 6 inches high) around the margin- part over water. it's okay for plants to run through the arrangement.
If herons can get in, so can raccoons and skunks. Raccoons especially will pull out your plants looking for bulbs and snails. Netting is really the only sure fire way to protect you livestock.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh yeah, just remembered, there's a company in Victoria that makes all sorts of motion sensor operated animal deterrents, check this out!

http://www.contech-inc.com/products/scarecrow/
Yup, got this, as mentioned we will be setting it up to see how well it will "protect" the pond :)

Storm, glad you found your way back :D We like that idea, and seen it in action on your pond but this is a pretty big pond 15' x 13' . As well, we like to play in our pond:p, planting, rearanging the plants.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had good luck with fishing line strung around the perimiter of our pond. It's not as visible as the electric fencer wire, but that would be my next option if they were not detered by the fishing wire.

Stupid horrid birds!!!!

Lori
2000g koi pond 750g shubunkin pond

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Yup, got this, as mentioned we will be setting it up to see how well it will "protect" the pond :)

Storm, glad you found your way back :D We like that idea, and seen it in action on your pond but this is a pretty big pond 15' x 13' . As well, we like to play in our pond:p, planting, rearanging the plants.
:) I understand... there's nothing like tripping on your own perimeter defenses lol

But, just don't shoot the heron!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have had good luck with fishing line strung around the perimiter of our pond. It's not as visible as the electric fencer wire, but that would be my next option if they were not detered by the fishing wire.

Stupid horrid birds!!!!

Lori
2000g koi pond 750g shubunkin pond
I don't understand how the wire around the perimeter of the pond would deter the bird, would it not just land in the water. Our edges are shallow, but center is deep. Your ponds must just be deep all the way around? Tell me more.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts