British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2 weeks ago I noticed a pairing between a timid female gold Ram and a younger male electric blue Ram in my community tank. I moved them to a 10 gallon and they laid eggs however the batch wasn't Baked right and they all went bad. Last night I discovered they tried again.. it's been 24 hours now and I haven't touched them. As there are only 24 or so dead eggs I do believe I'm getting some hybrids this time XD yay

Oh... And I'll be updating this thread because this $#!+ Is cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Morning update... I passed out last night without transferring the eggs to my incubator unfortunately and didn't have time before work. I made a risky decision and removed the pair and picked off the dead eggs. The remaining are darkening well and look ready to hatch today. I couldn't bear the thought they might get eaten after hatch if I left the pair. I just hope they're all doing well when I get home..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Day 8. I released the wiggler's yesterday after returning from an overnight out of town. I believe I am still experiencing fry death after hatch.. the level of mites in the aquarium looked a bit low for the new swimmers to eat.. but the PH was also sitting at 6.4. I did a 25% water change + extra with pH regulator at 7.0. I also scraped some bio life from the community tank to boost food levels. I estimate fry numbers to be around 40-50 right now.. and I'll attach a photo from yesterday for fun.

Bad news... When I returned from my trip I turned on my light in my community aquarium of electric blue youths... eager to see if the batch of wiggler's one pair had hatched we're still alive! They were! So hype! But in my haste to satisfy my needs I forgot the fishes needs... Soon after the 10 other babes in the tank went hunting for food now that the light was on. They quickly overrun the pair that laid eggs and I lost all my bonus fish. However!!!! I redistributed the 2 large rocks in the tank and today after work found a fresh batch of eggs being guarded by a diff pair... I don't know if I should create a new thread called the eggs on the rock or just move the rock to a safe space and bring them up myself.. maybe I'll do both.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have at least 12 but no more than 20 left. They appear to be eating. I don't know what's going on

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Day 10.. I have 5 fry left... Pretty miserable however I haven't had any further deaths in say the last 24 hrs so I believe the number is stable now for the most part. I'd be happy if I even got just 1 pair of hybrids so I'll continue to bring them up despite the cost of having that aquarium tied up. The parents are sharing a 20 long with a pair of electric blues. Hopefully another batch of hybrids and we'll try again.

'eggs on a rock' update: the rock was moved to my green tank and despite my initial speculation that they were foul they did indeed hatch within 48 hrs.. I sucked em up and transferred them into a tube within the green tank with airstone.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Day 12. Morning. 1 left. I think the deaths are due to cascading water in the tank and possibly the floating plants.. or a combination of the two. Filter has sponge on intake and turned all the way down. Water parameters fine.. I'm priming an air sponge for next round..

·
Registered
447 Posts
Great thread.Looking forward to the next round.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Day 13

First I just want to say thank you for the support and your comments. Breeding can be extremely emotional and stressful because a lot of things are out of your control and it's hard to get everything just right. Sometimes you begin to feel it's impossible or you're wasting your time and why are you trying anyway.. but feeling the support of the community and interest of others will keep us going for the better good :) -Erik

I still have the one fry.. I'm sure the main problem was using an H.O.B. filter in combination with my floating plants. I think the cascading water trapped them in the plants or a vortex or both and they would die. All removed now. Picture of little fellow attached.

Second picture is of the fry of 'eggs on a rock' placed in my really green 'green tank' of which I'm doing a water change right away before releasing them.. floating plants removed XD and I have a well established air sponge.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used neutral regulator by seachem.. the bottle didn't indicate issue.. I haven't seen any issue with the fry due to the use of it and they state use during basic water changes. I dissolved before putting water in tanks and in most cases I'm sure during time before parents laid eggs.. I have accounted for all fry death due to other means and correcting those issues has stabilized fish count. All this being said I haven't looked into issues with fry and maybe I'll research. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Day 16

The one hybrid still excels at life :) the fry count from 'eggs on a rock' in my green tank have dwindled... I have found fry stuck to the glass just above water level.. it appears to happen while the light is off.. last couple days I've noticed it. I think maybe a small light might help? It's bizarre..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fry death figured out... Air from the sponge filter was creating large floating bubbles periodically which drifted to the side of the glass violently exploding and casting fry at the surface onto the tank wall... Unbelievable..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Awesome thread, Fedaykin. I am so sorry to hear about first batch. At least you one hopeful survivor. So many parameters to take into consideration in breeding fish. I am glad you found out what was causing the casualty in the green tank. May I ask, what is the purpose of that cylinder that is used to contain the 2nd batch of fry? Just curious, my friend, as I am still learning.

all the best

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No problem I love sharing ideas... I made an incubator like the ones used for full sizes cichlids eggs by breeders.. as an alternative to letting them mouth breed (they hold the eggs in their mouths) from what I've seen their eggs are 5-10 times larger than what I'm working with. Dwafs as you know lay eggs and protect them but I was having troubles with the parents eating the eggs or wiggler's after hatch. As I'm trying to be productive and proactive in securing hatches I saw a need to artificially incubate them at the time. I was also operating under belief that mold was an issue which the incubator negates with movement of eggs.

Now I've streamlined my process a bit.. I don't use the incubator often. I now let the parents keep them clean for 24 hrs then remove the matrix they laid on and wait for hatch. Afterwords it will be 3-4 days until free swimming so I suck them up with a dropper and deposit them in the tube. This is to keep them nice and safe, free of debris in the tank which dirty or stick to them. Every 8-12 hrs I use a dropper to blow them around on the tube, one can also suck out particles.. the tube is an extra gravel cleaning tube... I placed a square of filter fabric over the bottom and secure tightly with a rubber band. It's set inside a pop bottle with the top cut off so it doesn't tip and also won't contact the fabric on the bottom of the cylinder or not in a way to effect fry. The pop bottle and tube are useful if you don't want to move parents.. the pop bottle protects the tub or the incubator so the parents won't eat the fry right through the fabric on the bottom of the tube.. it happened once... Then very mad then pop bottle..

Once they are free swimming in the tube I take a pic or get to visually document release of the cloud.. it's very satisfying..

Now the incubator is different I cut the tube about 6-8inch.. I like to reach the bottom with my sucker... A light filter material is placed on the bottom and banded.. the filter cloth should be stretched but not as tight as possible if you tap it with your finger you want to it flex mildly but tighten up again as u release. Next you use a slightly thicker material.. I cut a thin section out of a sock.. ya... It was washed... And you stretch that around the top. Then I secure the snorkel piece which normally attached the cleaning tube to the syphoned hose over the top to hold that fabric. I also added a longer tube to the top. Next you place an airline down inside the top tune and adjust bubbles.. now the function.. the bubbles out the top influnce the top fabric which because thicker pulls back and forth. This draws water up through the bottom fabric and back. The two membranes beat like a drum and bounce the eggs..

Ok so here's a little extra.. a video I uploaded a bit ago which shows my incubator in action. Please enjoy

1 - 20 of 38 Posts