British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was posting a picture of my 1 week free swimming betta fry.... and then i looked closer at the picture!

HYDRA!!!

The green ones!

Hydra (Chlorohydra) viridissima (green hydra) is a bright green species, owing to the presence of numerous algae called zoochlorellae, which live as symbionts within the endodermal cells.The zoochlorellae carry out photosynthesis and produce sugars that are used by the hydra. In return, the carnivorous diet of the hydra provides a source of nitrogen for the algae. Green hydra are small, seldom more than 0.4 inches (10 mm) long, with tentacles about half the length of the column.

taken from http://www3.northern.edu/natsource/INVERT1/Hydra1.htm

Kinda cool.... but I fear I may have lost some fry to them when they were smaller.... I think the fry are too big to be caught now...

I hear Fluke Tabs can be used to get ride of them With no harm to young fry. Like rainbow fish fry.... Don't want to chance it though.

I'm not going to do anything about them...

any idea's though?

·
Registered
743 Posts
panacur from the vet took care of the hydra in my tank (there were alot too)
the stingers will likely cause alot of irritation if not damage to the smaller fish.
I got single packets for like 50cents I think at Kingsway Vets in Vancouver.
worked like a charm

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just don't think they are going to harm the fry.... I might treat the tank after the fry are grown... then again I might not... We'll see how the fry do...

·
Registered
327 Posts
I am willing to bet that there won't be any hydra left in a couple of weeks, unless the fry are herbivores ...

·
Registered
496 Posts
I would keep an eye on that. I once lost a batch of 26 endler fry to a hydra infestation. Before I even knew what was hapening. The don't necessarily eat them but all they have to do is sting them to kill them.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
What?!! What are hydra? Where do they come from? Why do they sting fry? Yikes!

I would keep an eye on that. I once lost a batch of 26 endler fry to a hydra infestation. Before I even knew what was hapening. The don't necessarily eat them but all they have to do is sting them to kill them.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
white hydra or green?

the white are alot larger and i could see the sting of the white ones being trouble, i wouldn't have even know i had hydra if it wasn't for the macro picture

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
Many hydra have the ability to hold chlorophyl in their bodies. I had several different colours simiultaneously once (clear, tan, and green). I have some liquid panacur you can borrow for your tank. It is fry and shrimplet safe.

PM me if interested, Brian.

Stuart

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many hydra have the ability to hold chlorophyl in their bodies. I had several different colours simiultaneously once (clear, tan, and green). I have some liquid panacur you can borrow for your tank. It is fry and shrimplet safe.

PM me if interested, Brian.

Stuart
Some Hydra take on the colour of the food they eat... From what i've read there are only two main types of hydra.... The white ones which take on the color of the food they eat. They are also much larger. And the grean which have a sybiotic relationship with the algae in their systems and are photo sensative....

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
So, Scholz, you're saying that the hydra might be beneficial in a tank? Or at least innocuous - as long as they are not the big white ones?

I have never seen these, but perhaps I just haven't looked closely enough at my tanks. Where do they come from? How do they get into a tank? Do you think that they come in on plants? Or do they just appear in any body of water, without needing to be imported?

I bet that some fish would find them quite yummy. Perhaps nibbling on mildly venomous hydra is a bit like adding wasabi to your meal...

·
Registered
496 Posts
white hydra or green?

the white are alot larger and i could see the sting of the white ones being trouble, i wouldn't have even know i had hydra if it wasn't for the macro picture
Oh they were white. I had no idea there was a diffrence... but looking again at your picture yours do look significantlyt tinier that what I had in my tanks.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well they aren't beneficial per say. They are a good Indication of your water quaility.... As they won't show up in a tank with poor water conditions. Chances are that alot of tanks do have them....If people checked their finner leaved plants they may be surprised to find them... They come in with plants.... I'm thinking these came in on the Indian Almond Leaf.... ( sorry if you get them your rasboras are too big to be effected by them )

As I didn't see any for a long time and that is the only thing I added recently.

Also alot of people start to see them when they are feeding fry with micro worms and BBS as the hydra love to eat these things...

I really didn't even know they were there they are so small....

I'm going to see if the fry number drops over the next few days and if it does i'm going to talk to stuart and get some panacur....

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
Those look just like the green ones I had. Panacur will eradicate them and I would not chance them with your fry. My offer still stands on the liquid Panacur suspension. You use this specific product at a dose of 1ml per 10 gallons. It is very effective.

Best Regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the only problem i've seen with the fry so far is that there might be too much competition for food between the fry and hydra.... which kinda has me pissed.... maybe pissed enough to treat the tank....

Stuart is panacur snail safe?

·
Registered
743 Posts
the only problem i've seen with the fry so far is that there might be too much competition for food between the fry and hydra.... which kinda has me pissed.... maybe pissed enough to treat the tank....

Panacur didnt harm my snails at all.

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts

Hello Brian.

Panacur is absolutely safe with ramshorn, pond (physa and radix types), assasins. I know it is not safe with nerites, tylos, and apple snails (pomacea genus).

• Pomacea (effusa) glauca (Linné, 1758)
  • Pomacea (effusa) cumingi (Reeve, 1843)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) canaliculata (Lamarck, 1819)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) insularum (D'Orbigny, 1839)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) lineata (Spix, 1827)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) doliodes (Reeve, 1856)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) haustrum (Reeve, 1856)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) gigas / maculata (Perry, 1810)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) flagellata (Say, 1827)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) livescens (Reeve, 1856)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) erogata (Fisher & Crosse, 1890)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) dysoni (Hanley, 1854)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) bridgesii (Reeve, 1856)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) scalaris (D'Orbigny, 1835)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) columellaris (Gould, 1848)
  • Pomacea (Pomacea) decussate (Moricand)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) paludosa (Say, 1829)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) catamarcensis (Sowerby, 1874)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) cyclostoma (Spix, 1827)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) papyracea (Spix, 1827)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) hanleyi (Reeve, 1856)
  • Pomacea (pomacea) urceus (Müller, 1774)

Hope that helps.

Stuart

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I wouldn't mind if hydra showed up in the rasbora tank. It would probably be a sign that the tank was doing well. The rasboras might enjoy trying to catch them. Kind of a salad-on-the-move thing.

The almond leaf has tinted the water nicely.

I'm thinking these came in on the Indian Almond Leaf.... ( sorry if you get them your rasboras are too big to be effected by them .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts