British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
How can I prevent my white clouds from breeding..should I neuter them...:D:D

May be I should turn myself in before it is too late. :D

(2) A person who possesses an aquatic invasive species individual must prevent the aquatic invasive species individual from breeding.

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
Then what about the snakehead? :D
Actually, I am very ashame of myself for being such a bad boy but I have not one but two snakeheads. They are rainbow snakeheads.:D

·
Registered
617 Posts
Too bad we can't prevent bureaucrats from multiplying. I'd suggest you worry about your snakehead just as much as the rest of us worry about the "invasive species" of aquarium fish we may have . :D

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
LOL I am really worried they might knock on my door any time now.
On a serious note I suspect there may be more to the situation because when fish stores import their fish they need to have all the proper names printed on the waybill/invoice and the custom officers will stop them if they are really illegal. White cloud is supposed to come from Asia so they must have passed through custom, same as the rainbow snakehead that I have. White cloud has the exact same status as all snakehead as far as I can see according to the document linked above. White cloud is very popular and common, they are for sale in stores and online, there is nothing secretive about the sale of such species. Isn't that a bit odd if they are really forbidden?
And if they are okay, since snakehead has the same status per schedule 3, may be they are allowed just like white clouds are?

·
Registered
960 Posts
There's a $250,000.00 fine for releasing a snakehead into the wild which is a fairly hefty fine. As far as I can see through some research there is some dispute over whether or not this fish is actually illegal. In December of 2012 the importation, breeding, and possession of snakeheads was banned but has to pass through the cabinet and no website seems to mention whether or not it actually passed in the cabinet. The only province they seem to definitely be illegal in is Ontario? o_O

Reactions: Fish rookie

·
Registered
10 Posts
There's a $250,000.00 fine for releasing a snakehead into the wild which is a fairly hefty fine. As far as I can see through some research there is some dispute over whether or not this fish is actually illegal. In December of 2012 the importation, breeding, and possession of snakeheads was banned but has to pass through the cabinet and no website seems to mention whether or not it actually passed in the cabinet. The only province they seem to definitely be illegal in is Ontario? o_O
It is an officially published regulation, so it was definitely passed by cabinet.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Odd that the department of fisheries states "Selling live snakeheads is now prohibited by law in Ontario, but British Columbia has no such ban." as per: Department of Fisheries and Oceans - Science and was modified in 2013.. maybe the government doesn't even know lol

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
And may be custom officers in BC also do not know, which will be very odd.
I am referring to the fact that fish on the list on schedule 3 such as white cloud are still allowed to be imported into BC. So, is this really being enforced now?
I read that they were saying they would ban snakehead by fall last year but then I never heard or read anything when fall came or anytime after that.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
With climate change I am sure in a few short years its quite possible snake heads could survive in our waters. The amount of damage snake heads have caused ecologically in the states is astounding. If you ask me... Its only a matter of time before they tighten up the laws.

Lots of laws surrounding the aquarium trade are being tightened up. Getting koi in BC is a huge process now, as disease from them can infect our indigenous fish species. Not to mention bringing fish across the border is looked at more closely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
And may be custom officers in BC also do not know, which will be very odd.
I am referring to the fact that fish on the list on schedule 3 such as white cloud are still allowed to be imported into BC. So, is this really being enforced now?
I read that they were saying they would ban snakehead by fall last year but then I never heard or read anything when fall came or anytime after that.
CBSA only enforces federal importation bans and there is not one in place for these species. DFO page is from an article in 2007 so obviously outdated and a missed update. DFO is federal not provincial, so looking to their information on the ban in BC is not really informative.

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
I am confused. So, they are not really banned from importation.
But then they are banned--after they have been legally imported--from breeding, transporting, releasing, and possessing.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts