British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had Western Australian rainbow fry in my box filter once..they were already the size of neons! living on infusoria under the sponges...must have been sucked up as eggs...
Life finds a way......:eek:

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
thank you, I believe they are killis
Killi's have to be hatced with a specific way! They don't just hatch because there's water and good filter! This is why eggs are layed on mop heads and pulled out of tanks with no water with bits of moisture then submerged back with peat!
But hey.. i could be wrong about that fish being killi, maybe you got it when it wuz already a fry instead of an egg!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Killi's have to be hatced with a specific way! They don't just hatch because there's water and good filter! This is why eggs are layed on mop heads and pulled out of tanks with no water with bits of moisture then submerged back with peat!
But hey.. i could be wrong about that fish being killi, maybe you got it when it wuz already a fry instead of an egg!
not true.... Those look like killifish to me. If you want to raise the strong and best killifish possible. You use the in tank method with the non annual killifish. It's a Euro thing.... Alot of Euro's do it because they believe it makes a stronger better killifish. Bassically these fry will grow up to be tough hard to KILLifish.

The plant spawner ( non annuals ) will hatch with water and a good filter.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Any specific species? I haven't had one that didn't need peat to hatch! Cuz that sounds interesting!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good call. I read up on that when I first got them but never saw any eggs since they are in an overgrown planted tank. I can't find any info on hatching them in a tank either....
I guess only time will tell, some of them are a bit bigger and seem to start coloring up like killis though. I'll keep you updated

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not true.... Those look like killifish to me. If you want to raise the strong and best killifish possible. You use the in tank method with the non annual killifish. It's a Euro thing.... Alot of Euro's do it because they believe it makes a stronger better killifish. Bassically these fry will grow up to be tough hard to KILLifish.

The plant spawner ( non annuals ) will hatch with water and a good filter.
that makes sense, thank you :) and I'm European, how fitting lol

·
Registered
549 Posts
Not a prob. That site is useful... Also some annuals can be hatched useing that method too. Takes alot longer and hatches are alot smaller that's why no one does it. But it can happen... Killifish are pretty cool fish if you ask me. Another cool fish is those splash tetras that spawn out of water. jump onto low hanging plant leaves over the water. The male then splashes the eggs with water to keep them wet and after some time 48 hrs the eggs hatch and the fry fall into the water... I think those would be some cool fish to keep in a emergent plant tank... charles has or had some...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts