British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all !

After upgrade my stock in the fish tank I realized that I have a cleaning problem, bottom and glass. I used to keep gold fish and I had 3 rhino pleco which did a great job. In this moment in my tank peacefully(at last) coexist 2 jaguar(pair) ~6 inch , one aro ~9-10 inch and one congicus bichir of 8-10 inch.
What fish can I get to take care a little bit of the mess from bottom and glass and stay in good relation with other fish, especially jaguars which can be very aggressive .
My tank is 60 Gal and I`m using a 4 stage canister with 9w UV for filtration.

Thanks for any help or good advice you can offer.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Glad the aro is working out for you!!!!! I would suggest a flagtail. But you will run into issues with the jaguars once again you can try a catfish in order to eat what's left over as they are pigs. But u still will have to clean the glass. You could get a plec but I find them usless once that get to a certain size

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks
I`m thinking to try with a catfish, I`m pretty sure that those punk jaguars will not allow any other fish in the tank.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update news
Here is what happened today. I cleaned the tank, change media and fixed the background,no more air bubble.
After that I went very truthful to the pet shop and I bought a big 6 inch spotted catfish .
When I came home and released him in the tank the third world war started. Even thought the catfish in so big those jaguars started hunting him like mad.
The jaguars acted like a pack waiting each one in the most narrow spot to catch the catfish who was hiding under a driftwood root.

You can follow this link to see one of the attack. http://www.flickr.com/photos/cristian7312/5259865558/in/set-72157625136850994/
I tried to add the video but the site is not accepting mov file

I hope that was only for today or tomorrow until they will get used with the catfish in the tank . Just hope because at this time there are more than 6 hours when they start to chase him and no sign to accept his presence.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I know way they were so violent. Yesterday they spawn! First time in my tank. Now seems to make peace with other fish ,but no border crossing.
I do not know if there will be some surviving fry due to the tank set up but anyway I do not have any experience in breeding or after hatching.
If you can give me some advice I`ll gladly take them.

Jaguars breeding | Flickr - Photo Sharing! :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Good luck with the breeding, my africans are breeding like mad right now too. I expect that once they have finished that most catfish and pleckos would be okay. I had commons with 2 fairly large JD's and a bicher that was about 14-16" and after taking a couple bits and realizing that they are bony left them alone. The breeding does throw a wild card into the equation though.

I'm not sure how much the upside down catfish will clean, my friend has one and he's pretty cool but in his tank doesn't clean enough to solve the problem. It could be in part due to the amount my friend feeds though I'm not sure. In my 72 gal I only have to clean the glass once every 4 months or so (and even then it doesn't really need it) but that is because I introduced a lot of loaches, pleckos and algae eaters into the equation early so that they could "socialize" and grow together. Even at that I lost a few, and my fish are less aggressive than your mix.

My best suggestion if your not happy with the catfish's cleaning would be to try some inexpensive pleckos. In my experience the smaller the better for cleaning but you'll need to find size large enough to survive a chomp or two out of its fins.

Those jaguars looks sweet btw, good luck finding a solution and raising the fry. My only advice for the fry is that if you are going to put them in a separator get a hard plastic one rather than a mesh one (which is a mistake I made with my Dempseys) because the other fish can kill the fry through the mesh.

Good luck,

-Blair

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Blair.
I will try to keep them just to see if I can. Is not my main purpose to breed the jaguars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts