British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is my new 5.5. i setup all the rocks, except i want to make an arc way, which will come later. The substrate is river rock with fluorite mixed in. so far i have 1 15W fluorescent bulb, depending on what plants i add i may add another bulb. so what kind of plants should i add?? i was thinking of keeping it simple with java moss, java fern and anubias. but i would like some other suggestions please as well as placement.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So glad every jumped in to help... no worries i worked up some of my own inspiration. i just added some anubias nana, and some other misfit plants from my other tank. im hoping to get some more java fern, get some micro swords and java moss.

i ended up taking the arc out, because it took up too much room. i moved it into my other tank. looks better now.

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
Small tanks are more difficult to aquascape properly IMO, especially when you're mixing fairly large rocks with plants. Good job on yours.

I guess my suggestions would have been based on what type of fish/shrimp you're planning to keep.

Anthony

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Hi Nikkib197.

So sorry! I missed your first post. It looks like your tank is already very nicely planted now. Great looking anubias, and very interesting rock formations. I think that with 15W over a 5 watt tank, you can grow practically everything. I have a 15w over an 8 gallon tank and the plants in it are doing really well.

Are you going to put some fish into it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Nikkib197.

So sorry! I missed your first post. It looks like your tank is already very nicely planted now. Great looking anubias, and very interesting rock formations. I think that with 15W over a 5 watt tank, you can grow practically everything. I have a 15w over an 8 gallon tank and the plants in it are doing really well.

Are you going to put some fish into it?
thanks. i was going to put some gertrudae in it, but i was recommended against it, so i guess i wont. i think i will just get some shrimp, which is fine, cause i love shrimp!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your tank looks good. You need to watch out the balance very carefully. Small tank cost little but it also need more maintenance.
i know all about the more maintenance... i have two 2 gallons and one 1 gallon and one 20 gallon. The 20 gallon is by far the easiest one to maintain. i just don't have the space for larger tanks. the 5.5 gallon was a stretch itself.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Neat little nano setup.It looks like your anubias is flowering ? iam i right ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts