British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Flowerhorn has been getting sick constantly for about 2 months it goes away, I treat it, it comes back. It looks like Ich.

Any way I am tired of the whole process and want to start over maybe do a nice planted tank with some peacfull comunity fish that dont get all stressed out because some one was in the pantry beside it's tank :(.

Should I take it out of the tank and wack it's head with a hammer ?
or should I chill a pail of water in the freezer and quickly transfer it from the nice warm water to the icy water and hope it has a heart attack ?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I would try to give him away if that's the case that's stressing you!
But I still can't judge the whole process on wacking with a hammer and watch the guts spill everywhere? I will never forgive myself doing that!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This fish Is not suitable to be given away, besides the most humane way to kill a fish is to wack it on the head .

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
This fish Is not suitable to be given away, besides the most humane way to kill a fish is to wack it on the head .
No no, i completely understand, I'm just saying I cant justify myself doing that!
But good luck! If you can do it, I hear it's actually the fastest way to a fish's death~

·
Registered
327 Posts
there is a thread dedicated to this subject in the hospital section of this site. I just let mine die of natural causes and then flush 'em, but a tetra or danio is much different than a large cichlid

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
there is an oil you can put in to make it fall asleep, but i would try to give it away first, I had the same issue with an oscar and green terror and even the 3 plecs started to get covered. I dosed the tank and did 20-30% water changes daily (even the for a week after the condition disapeared). After I raised the temp and added some aquarium salt to prevent it from returning, ended up ok!! never did return, try to see if you can find somone who is willing

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
oh god, I would never be able to do that..... be brave when you do that... dont want a bloody fish flapping over an insufficient job

·
Banned
621 Posts
My Flowerhorn has been getting sick constantly for about 2 months it goes away, I treat it, it comes back. It looks like Ich.

Any way I am tired of the whole process and want to start over maybe do a nice planted tank with some peacfull comunity fish that dont get all stressed out because some one was in the pantry beside it's tank :(.

Should I take it out of the tank and wack it's head with a hammer ?
or should I chill a pail of water in the freezer and quickly transfer it from the nice warm water to the icy water and hope it has a heart attack ?
The problem seems to be that the fish makes a full recovery and then comes down with ich again.... Any other takers?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Well remember ich is a paracite hence it has a
life cycle, the life cycle includes the substrate. You can get rid of the fish but u still might run into the same
problem later. I would say treat it for 3 weeks till u l ow the cycle has been completed. That is why I would say hand the fish off to someone with some time on there hands. Your still gonna have to get it out
of the substrate

1 - 16 of 16 Posts