Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have recently seen an increase of resale of fish on bc aquaria for what seems to be for profit. As I understand this forum is for people who have an interest in keeping tropical fish as a hobby. Not away to make a few bucks on the side. Maybe I'm wrong and people like to switch up their tanks every few months. I have not resold a fish ever, to me it feels like some people are adopting a pet then are get rid of it when it no longer amuses them. I'm sure this doesn't apply to everyone, I'm sure some people have good reasons but I just wanted to see if any one else has seen this pattern emerging with some members. I'm not posting this to name or get any one in trouble. I just wanted bring awareness to a problem that might spin out of control if not brought up in discussion.

In closing I would like to thank all the members that follow the rules set out in this forum.

Remember, honesty is always the best policy.

Thanks

Teal'c

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree and appreciate your delicate wording! Too many people here have forgotten or never understood the point of this forum. A lot has changed especially since the crash. I hope we can all get along and play nice. This is a great community when it works!

Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers!

D

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
In some cases, its people shutting down tanks or switching to try a different species (ie. getting out of discus to do Africans instead).

Resellers/retailers/sponsors are NOT supposed to be posting their stock in the classifieds. If you see problem or questionable postings, feel free to pm the links to the moderator team.

Thanks,

Anthony

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
also keep in mind that it is a recession right now, a really bad one for many of us in the trades, quite a few have been out of work upwards of a year now and some are forced to shut down tanks due to maintenance cost or change of accommodation.

On top of that, many hobbyists on here have recently got into breeding, and are trying to offload the extra fish (often for free). For some reason some people just don't like using the fry for fish feed :p But these people would hardly classify as a breeder, they are just hobbyists who decided to give another aspect of fish keeping a try.

I kind of like the high pace of the classifieds section, its starting to become the place for people in the hobby to do exchanges regionally, which also attracts members.

·
Registered
743 Posts
So what exactly is the issue here?
"getting rid" of fish in a bad way is flushing it. A good way is selling or giving it away.
I like buying fish from local breeder/hobbyists.
Every fish in my tank except for a few (out of about 60) came from this site. Of course lots are from April and Pat also.
I have about 10 fish for sale now due to recession wages and a desire to do other things with my tanks.
My idea of Getting rid of a pet is dumping it at the SPCA since your new condo doesnt allow cats, or your rabbit stinks. I worked there for a couple years.
What exactly is wrong with a guy making a few bucks on the side to help with his hobby?
What exactly might a classified section be for but to buy and sell things?

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
I think the OP's asking about what BCA's site policy is regarding retailers and professional breeders (breeding/selling/reselling fish is their main source of income) using the site's classifieds when the classifieds are for hobbyists & hobbyist breeders (ie. only breeding on the side or for fun).

The retailers/resellers/professional breeders can become sponsors and post as much as they want to sell on their own sub-forums.

These sponsorships help to keep the site running by covering the cost for webhosting, contests and monthly prizes.

If all retailers/resellers/professional breeders can post on the classifieds, then why bother getting a sponsorship?

Anthony

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
As stated previously, recession is a big reason for lots of sales. I was forced to sell my Discus earlier this year mainly because I couldn't afford to maintain them.

I do sometimes see a few resellers in the thread and I sometimes notify the team if I think it could go out of hand, but usually its not necessary as we have a great mod team here.

·
Registered
193 Posts
We did go through this before the crash but it is good to talk about it again.

I'm a little confused about Teal'c 's comment "I have never resold a fish ever". Does this mean you have never sold a fish? or never bought a fish then tried to sell it later. I thought you sold fish on this forum a few months back?

The other thing that is difficult to tell is if someone is selling for a business or if someone is a really really good hobbyist. Some people's photos are amazing and it is just because they are good photographers. It doesn't mean they are running a business. Maybe their setups are amazingly clean and professional but they are just very enthusiastic hobbyists.

From my un-educated scanning of the livestock classifieds, no one seems to jump out at me as a "business" that is selling in the classified section. I could be wrong.. been a member here since 2007... and I have been wrong many times before ;)

Something to watch out for though.. good idea..

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have seen VERY VERY little in the for profit genre of fish and equipment here at all!!!! In fact 70% and less of retail price is still lowballed on a regular basis. I took a walk through fraser aquarium yesterday and was aghast at what a new aquarium cost considering what prices we see people NOT be able to sell there used equipment for on here.

After raising and feeding aftrican cichlids for example there is next to NO money made at all, in fact its usually a big loss if you didn't import them in at a large size already..

I would be happy to personally go through the listings you refer to on a case by case basis Teal'c but I and others keep a very close eye on things and we have sen nothing amiss, so please Pm me the threads in question I will dialogue with you over them..

I am saddened we dont have people being MORE comfortable selling what they have bred at home here, as apposed to selling to LFS and what not due to their concern of being labelled a reselller for profit.

on one hand "we" are spoiled and expect low low prices for both equipment and livestock, yet on the other hand are yelling foul at anyone who sells things here...

You must bear in mind a large amount of fish sales you see posted regularly are due to it still being available as apposed to it being a new sale.....

Scherzo "I could be wrong.. been a member here since 2007... and I have been wrong many times before " You made me laugh thanks!!

And I also could be wrong... There should be a more open feeling to our forum, not closed Im concerned this kind of dialogue leads us in the more closed direction not open....

Lisa (these opinions are mine and mine alone and are not endorsed by the mod team of this site in any way)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Teal'c Im confused I have seen you sell quite a few fish exactly 1 month ago I don't understand your change of heart I have had to sell a few fish just cause they were either bullies or just didn't get along with others and I didn't have another tank to put them in and I have always sold for waaay below my original cost so I don't see a problem here !!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
Regrding some fish you Sold.. (not resale as you bred them??)

Thanks guys,

I'm glad to hear that you guys are enjoying the fish. Thats the best part of this hobby, sharing beautiful fish with other aquarium enthusiast's for them to enjoy aswell.

Thanks again,

Teal'c AKA Jason
What's with the change of heart???

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I am saddened we dont have people being MORE comfortable selling what they have bred at home here, as apposed to selling to LFS and what not due to their concern of being labelled a reselller for profit.
(with special thanks to buddrhox for that great little graphic:)

Lisa hits it on the head for me. Breeding is part of the hobby, about learning about the animals we keep. Despite having shrimp and snails in most of my tanks, I get a lot of fry survive from certain species. I offer most of them for sale on the Canadian Aquarium Connection Auction, because everyone there knows about being swamped with babies.
It comes in waves, so you'll have 5 or 6 species breeding like stink at the same time, then nothing for months.
So most of my extra plants, and the majority of my rainbows, bristlenoses, heterandria, white clouds and corys are shipped to people in Alberta and Ontario.
Maybe we need another level, between donator and sponsor, for hobbyist breeders. At least then it wouldn't feel as though I'm pissing people off all the time.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I believe my original wording of my post wasn't clear enough for some. My post wasn't to piss any one off, and certainly not to start a argument within the community. Just a place for discussion.

Yes, I do have ten tanks of African cichlids and they do breed for me. Many people have purchased off me and enjoyed the fish. I only sell these guys for 5 bucks each and peole get a deal for a larger purchase. Like 2 trios for $25. Wich is in no way breaking even in my hobby.Lots of people here on bcaquaria have similar circumstances and it's great to have a place to rehome fish.

This isn't the reason I started this post. It's when I see members buying all fish of one person and a few weeks to a month later you see the same fish on sale for 2-3 times the original sale price. This example is what I meant by resale of fish for profit.

I have personally not sold my fish to some members because it sounds they want them for resale. And said person was banned a few weeks later. These are the people I'm worried that will destroy the classified section. Not other hobbyists in the same boat as me.

I hope this explains my concern over the resale of fish in the classifieds.

And as for the comment about me never reselling a fish, I only buy fish off people to keep. I have dealt with many members here and thank them for the great specimens I have added to my tanks. I understand that sometimes a fish got here in the classifieds doesn't fit into a tank for many reasons, and sometimes said fish needs to be rehomed again.

I hope this clarifies my position on the matter. Remember this is a discussion, not a fist fight.

Thanks for listening

Teal'c

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello all,

I believe my original wording of my post wasn't clear enough for some. My post wasn't to piss any one off, and certainly not to start a argument within the community. Just a place for discussion.

Yes, I do have ten tanks of African cichlids and they do breed for me. Many people have purchased off me and enjoyed the fish. I only sell these guys for 5 bucks each and peole get a deal for a larger purchase. Like 2 trios for $25. Wich is in no way breaking even in my hobby.Lots of people here on bcaquaria have similar circumstances and it's great to have a place to rehome fish.

This isn't the reason I started this post. It's when I see members buying all fish of one person and a few weeks to a month later you see the same fish on sale for 2-3 times the original sale price. This example is what I meant by resale of fish for profit.

I have personally not sold my fish to some members because it sounds they want them for resale. And said person was banned a few weeks later. These are the people I'm worried that will destroy the classified section. Not other hobbyists in the same boat as me.

I hope this explains my concern over the resale of fish in the classifieds.

And as for the comment about me never reselling a fish, I only buy fish off people to keep. I have dealt with many members here and thank them for the great specimens I have added to my tanks. I understand that sometimes a fish got here in the classifieds doesn't fit into a tank for many reasons, and sometimes said fish needs to be rehomed again.

I hope this clarifies my position on the matter. Remember this is a discussion, not a fist fight.

Thanks for listening

Teal'c
Many of us have been banned for selling just what you have discribed as just a hobbiest. Out of forty speciies, I still could never claim or even pretend to my wife that I was making any profit, yet still banned from selling with out a sponsor ship. Thats why I droped my sponsorship.. just was'nt worth it..

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Regrding some fish you Sold.. (not resale as you bred them??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal'c
Thanks guys,

I'm glad to hear that you guys are enjoying the fish. Thats the best part of this hobby, sharing beautiful fish with other aquarium enthusiast's for them to enjoy aswell.

Thanks again,

Teal'c AKA Jason

What's with the change of heart???

No change of heart, just being misunderstood.

To answer the question,"not resale as you bred yourself?". Yes, all the fish I have sold have been from fish that breed in my aquariums. As someone else stated it's part of the hobby, fish will breed. I have just been lucky enough to witness this awesome behavior with different species I keep.

I apologize if I haven't been clear in my wording enough in bringing up this matter.

Thanks to the mods and all who took interest in this thread. If I suspect anyone in the future I will send a mod a heads up.

Teal'c

·
Registered
485 Posts
Im glad you feel comfortable to re home the babies from your fish you have gotten to see breed. I know they take forever to grow out,and with a bit of awareness under my belt from having met and talking to cichlid keepers, think it is "for passion" not "for profit".

Flipping of free or cheap livestock and equipment makes lots of members grumpy, when they see it. It's just bad fishy karma.

Thanks for the clarification. I was definitely biased towards thinking you meant to be speaking of a broader problem than you were due to the fear members have of perception.

I hope this dialogue has led to people feeling more comfortable bringing their spawns here to the forum as a result of this.

I want to thank Teal'c for bringing it up as I think it has brought more clarity to the topic.

So if you at home have had the pleasure of breeding , cichlids, plecos,rays,whatever it may be.. Please bring them to the livestock classifieds.. Share the "for passion" aspect of this hobby with others. That's the spirit that made me jump into this forum with both feet, let's continue to foster that both for our long time members and new ones.

Thanks again Teal'c!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.