British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so on Wednesday I spotted one of my rummy tetras had some white spots on its fins (small white dots that look like salt, ich right!?). By the next morning most of the other fish in the tank had it as well. This is my first encounter with a major fish disease so any words of wisdom would be extremely appreciated :(
fish in the tank include, a gourami, platies, tetras, rams
so far I've raised the temp to around 80-82 F did a water change and left a little room in the tank for a small waterfall. Also dosed some aquarium salt in on wednesday, and then on thursday I added in Applus+ Aqua-sol by Aquarium Products
The directions on the bottle are a little vague since it only mentions "Use 10 drops p/gallon, Use 1 capful p/10 gallon" it doesn't mention anything about if you dose it daily, dose it only after a water change, don't do any water changes while medicating etc etc. anyone have experience with this product :confused:
So on a final note am I doing anything wrong, anything right? Anything more I could be doing? I've read up on ich but any more information is always helpful

·
Registered
177 Posts
well this was what i have been told when i had ick for all my clown loaches... take out the active carbon in ur filter, bimp the temp up too 84 gradually though... add salt and yeah... i did water changes every 2-3 days just so i can get rid of the spores... all my clown loaches did.. all 15 of them two of them were 6" too.. but yeah ur doing it right cinnibun, just hope you dont lose any of your fish, u can also pick up some ick medication.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
You only need to take out carbon if you are using meds, not for salt. I by not familiar with Applus+. When I had an ich outbreak on a couple of fish a couple of weeks ago, I was able to successfully quell it with raising temps to 86 F and Quick-Cure using only a half dosage.

·
Registered
177 Posts
yeah everyone says use quick cure... apparently that is illegal in canada?.. thats what i have been told...

·
Registered
177 Posts
lol cuz i went to IPU and thats what they told me, cuz i went looking for it and yeah... i got api ick cure and yeah lol!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Also dosed some aquarium salt in on wednesday, and then on thursday I added in Applus+ Aqua-sol by Aquarium Products
The directions on the bottle are a little vague since it only mentions "Use 10 drops p/gallon, Use 1 capful p/10 gallon" it doesn't mention anything about if you dose it daily, dose it only after a water change, don't do any water changes while medicating etc etc. anyone have experience with this product :confused:
I haven't used the product, but ich has a typical life cycle of what 5 to 7 days? Thus, I would not do any water changes for a week or water change and re-dose the appropriate amount of meds to the water that you do change.

Contact the customer service line is your best bet though, that is if they actually have a functioning CS line. API and Mardel are completely pathetic and I will avoid using their products in the future for that very reason.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
lol cuz i went to IPU and thats what they told me, cuz i went looking for it and yeah... i got api ick cure and yeah lol!
Quick Cure is illegal to import into Canada. There was an accident with a child getting it in their eye from what I understand which caused the ban. There is no "Quick cure" police at the border generally so stores are bringing it in regardless. We are not, it is illegal. Besides there is plenty of other products that are not illegal and work just as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you for all the help !! (and so quick too wow :D)
I'm wondering if you guys have any other product recommendations that would help with treating ich?

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Hey Grant.....both AP Pro Quick Cure & Hikari Ich-X has the same active ingredients....formalin & machalite green.......just curious

http://uskoi.com/ich-x.htm
It's the same reason why some fish foods are no longer allowed in this country. They really don't know what they're doing. I hate to be a cynic about this, but I've run into enough problems at the borders to realize how screwed up it is.

·
Registered
463 Posts
hi Grant.....AP Pro Quick Cure being sold online Canadian sites.....not legal in Canada or by province only....curious?

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/skus/me/MEAP-QC2.asp?L+scstore+bwzh1743ff12ed12+1272123261

Big Al's Canada also sells Kordon Formalin,Kordon Methylene Blue-Kordon Malachite Green-

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA..._cnt=1&attrib_id_0=2215&attrib_value_0=Kordon

Quick Cure is illegal to import into Canada. There was an accident with a child getting it in their eye from what I understand which caused the ban. There is no "Quick cure" police at the border generally so stores are bringing it in regardless. We are not, it is illegal. Besides there is plenty of other products that are not illegal and work just as well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Cinnibun did you get an answer from AP?
Your thread seems to have been hijacked!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts