British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
No idea on the first
Gonna say the second one is a red top zebra (Lake Malawi)
and the third is a zebra obliquedens (Lake Victoria)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:)I went to the site you passed on to another member and found the red top zebra. But couldnt find the other 2. Thanks for your help. Only 1 left to ID.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The first bit of advice I can offer is not to purchase africans before you can confirm species. African cichlids are very well known to cross breed in the aquarium and because of this there are a tons of hybrid africans on the market. You can either ask the person who sold the fish to confirm the species, or make certain next time you make a purchase that you confirm the fish before purchase.
Clayton

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First of all, the photo of the first fish came with a few others that were given to me. I have ID'ed the rest that were given to me but cant ID this one.

Secondly I bought the other 2 ( 2nd and thrd pics ) from IPS and they didnt know the species. I bought them because I like the colours and not for breeding purposes, and they ARE NOT IN THE SAME TANK AS THE OTHERS.

Thirdly, I didnt ask for advice, this time, but I did ask for HELP TO ID the species. Maybe you didnt read the TITLE.

Chuck

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey shell dweller the first one might be a Protomelas sp. my best guess would be a protomelas similis. hope that helps

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:)I think your on the right track. Will check out some other info and try to see any distinguishing marks that might tell. Could also be female which possibly would have different markings than the male. Thanks for your help.:D

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was not trying to offend you, I was only trying to offer advice for future purchases.
:) The problem with LFS is they should know what they are selling, and should not sell african hybrids but do.

·
Registered
110 Posts
First of all, the photo of the first fish came with a few others that were given to me. I have ID'ed the rest that were given to me but cant ID this one.

Secondly I bought the other 2 ( 2nd and thrd pics ) from IPS and they didnt know the species. I bought them because I like the colours and not for breeding purposes, and they ARE NOT IN THE SAME TANK AS THE OTHERS.

Thirdly, I didnt ask for advice, this time, but I did ask for HELP TO ID the species. Maybe you didnt read the TITLE.

Chuck
With that attitude why don't u go figure it out yourself?!? Don't come on here asking for help and give attitude when u obviously know nothing about africans.. I'll help u ID your fish... they are Haplochromis and Mbuna Sp. CRAP.. lol.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Clayton; :)I'm sorry if I jumped down your throat, I know you meant well. No offense taken, I was just having a bad day and it set me off. I'm well aware of the cross breeding problem and I'm not about to add to it, that is why their not in the same tank as the others. As I mentioned I did buy them because of their colours which I found attractive and not to breed. :D

As for JDM :p......well enough said.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Clayton; :)I'm sorry if I jumped down your throat, I know you meant well. No offense taken, I was just having a bad day and it set me off. I'm well aware of the cross breeding problem and I'm not about to add to it, that is why their not in the same tank as the others. As I mentioned I did buy them because of their colours which I found attractive and not to breed. :D

As for JDM :p......well enough said.
It's cool... :D

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The first one looks awefully a lot like a Red Empress. Definitely not a female, but a subcolored male? Hybrid is also a possibility.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Smiladon; Yes I think your right. I went to Cichlid-Forum.com and looked at a photo of a Super Red Empress young male and it is almost identical in body, colours and markings. Thanks to all for their help to ID my fish.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts