British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I got these fish some months ago...the seller assured me they were not piranha's. They look a lot like them, and I was fully prepared to believe him...however they are beginning to eat other fish. They are a very active and fast moving fish...and I am pretty sure they are thinner than any piranha I have seen. But these guys do have teeth and are starting to use them. Fish are currently 6-7" in size.

would love to know what they are called, as I need to do some research on appropriate tank mates. Angelfish are out as they became dinner.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
could possibly be pacu....
when i had pacu along time ago they would eat the odd feeder

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks a lot for the replies...the fact that the seller said they were not piranha's still leads me to believe they may not be (hoping). I took a look at red belled pacu's on the internet (thanks for the name, I wouldn't have come up with that), and they do look a lot like the fish I have. The speed of their growth as well as their appearance leads me to think this is what they are. Also, they move too fast for any piranha's I've ever seen...they are non-stop in hyperdrive darting from one end of the tank to the other...bad news though, they may need to go in a bigger tank...they get big!
Here is the site I found for any who are interested.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/mix/redbellypacu.php

·
Registered
925 Posts
Lower jaw is not protruding very far, most likely Pacu.
Larger protruding jaw usually indicates Piranha & their carnivorous nature.
Otherwise fairly hard to tell unless Pacu is grown, because Piranha will never achieve the same size.
Cheers!!!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Ihad a pacu that would occasionally go after feeders, but I am pretty sure that it didnt have teeth, at least not visible ones like a pirhana

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Red belly pacus. Hope you have large enough tank for all 3 and with strong wall. They grow fast, big and strong and eats a lot. A true tank buster.

It's not a piranha. Red belly Piranha have robust head and large sharp teeth. Type it in google and you see a clear difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just want to say thanks again for the replies. I am now positive it is a pacu...but as King-eL mentioned I am concerned about the tank now...I may have to move them back into the acrylic one, the glass one is only a 60 gallon and it is not thick glass.

I may have to consider finding a home if they get anywhere as big as the net articles say :(

·
Registered
520 Posts
these are 100% SA pacu. some scientists believe the reason they look like red belly piranha is they try to mimic piranha in able to join piranha group for food leftover...

Pacu will grow up way bigger than red belly piranha.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
these are 100% SA pacu. some scientists believe the reason they look like red belly piranha is they try to mimic piranha in able to join piranha group for food leftover...

Pacu will grow up way bigger than red belly piranha.
There is your expert opinion :) If anyone knows Piranha, it is Hugo :)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
google pic it... google knows all, pacus and piranhas look very similer, These look very much like a pacu over a piranha. They can get to be 12-24inch, they are good with almost any large fish like an Arowana or a large plec

1 - 19 of 19 Posts