British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey :)

Ok, so I wandered away for a while but I still have the tanks and I missed the forum so I'm back :)

I have a 120g reef tank and a 55g planted FW tank. I've been having some issues with the pH in my 55g resulting in the loss of some of my oldest and favorite fish but I'm working on it.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Welcome back , hope you sort out the PH issue and get back on track with things.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Welcome back :)

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
welcome back

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
welcome back. very interested in your ph problems and the type of fish.
summary: (this is long, sorry you don't have to read it everyone)
-55g tank
-4 years old
-standard black aquarium gravel
-Has been fairly heavily planted, I go thru every once in a while and haul out a 5g bucket of trimmings so it's much more bare now. (mostly java fern and moss, 2 anubias, wisteria, a lotus zenkeri, a struggling amazon sword that got buried from light, some puffy stuff I forget the name of)
-Was running PCs on the tank but after the last trimming I switched back to the stock fluorescents, (hagen plant-gro or something of the sort, bulbs were prolly about a year old, I know, I know...) none of the plants I really like are high-light anyways and the PCs were running really hot.
-Was stocked with: 9 Gold barbs, 7 neons, a few odd danios, 4 corydoras, 5 serpae, 6 emperors, a clown loach, paradise gourami but all I have left now are:
2 serpae
2 neons
2 danio (a kyathit and a pearl)
2 emperors
1 gold barb (this is really sad, I really liked those big fat barbs, I started out with 6 and ended up with 9, some of you may have seen the baby pics)
1 cory
the clown loach
the paradise gourami
I run a whisper filter on the back + a powerhead on one end for flow and a bubbler.
There are 2 fair-sized pieces of driftwood that have been in there since the tank was about 6 months old.
I vacuum the substrate when I do w/c's.

The only thing I have really added (other than w/c's) is about a month-month and a half ago I noticed a fungus on a couple of the barbs and one of the serpae so I treated with "jungle brand fungus clear" The fungus went away and I did about a 20% w/c and re-added carbon to the tank... then a couple weeks later my fish started dropping like flies and I tested the water and the only thing out of balance was the pH - 6.0.I tested my tap water and it varies from 6.8-7.4 depending on the day. I havedone numerous water changes (about 20% ever other day initially and now about 10-20% a week) trying to get the pH up, as well as adding "pH up" in the recommended dosing level but nothing! My pH won't change!

I was sorting thru my saltwater stuff downstairs looking for my alk test but it is only for marine :( BUT I did find the "tailored aquatics alkalinity up" that I won from a contest here and I put that in, I'm going to keep up with that and see if it helps until I can get a FW alk test kit (I'll have to go into vancouver) I really liked the plant supplements I won from Tailored Aquatics so maybe this will help, I'd just never had the opportunity to use it as the tank was so stable for so long! I know it was overstocked but I did keep up with the maintenance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts