British Columbia Aquariums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
Welcome Yungster I'm sure with help of the well versed Mods at BCA the transition will go very well, and of course help from Clarence and Shawn while it all happens.
To Clarence and Shawn thanks for all your past work on this great forum of ours. :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
Welcome Yung.

Sorry to hear of Shawn and Clarence's departure. May the force be with you guys :D!

Best Regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
847 Posts
Verticalscope seems to be a large company whose network of industry web portals, and online communities reach over five million enthusiasts and decision makers each month.

If I understand "Yung" is a representative of the company at this forum.

Welcome Yung.

Paul

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
How will this affect the donator program? Being an advertisement revenue based company now running this site im worried we will see a higher increase of ads drowning out our content, even for donators im worried now we will be forced to see more than the rolling banner on top. As a sponsor i too would be worried about this and i hope they were consulted before such a thing happened. I know the planted tank sold out before they actually sold, so the difference wouldn't be as much prevalent on there, but here its still a small community promoting local goods.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
How will this affect the donator program? Being an advertisement revenue based company now running this site im worried we will see a higher increase of ads drowning out our content, even for donators im worried now we will be forced to see more than the rolling banner on top. As a sponsor i too would be worried about this and i hope they were consulted before such a thing happened. I know the planted tank sold out before they actually sold, so the difference wouldn't be as much prevalent on there, but here its still a small community promoting local goods.
My concern is losing the local atmosphere. There are plenty of good aquarium forums around. What made me choose this one is that it is local. Is Yung from BC? His I.D. has no Location box.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Their company is one of two that have been buying up forums everywhere in a bid to beat each other out of opportunity, i'm sure he's an admin who's great with technical issues and software fixes, but i strongly doubt they are from vancouver. From what i read they let sites run themselves and step in only for advertisement and technical maintnence, little to no involvement in actual community

·
Banned
2,619 Posts
well I hope that the local and beloved sponsors dont drop off the map because these new owners are gonna push "their " advertisers and I also worry about the "donators" because what is the benefit of being a donator now,?

to keep it 100 i think this is going to negatively affect the bca forum as a whole, I think that local content is gonna give way to paid advertisement, and i see "sponsors" being handed a conflict of interest. that is relatively unfair ,the sponsors pay to be sponsors why would i want to sponsor something that isnt a local thing anymore , in addition the forum having these new ads is direct competition for the sponsors...

i see a cluster in the making i hope im just being a negative nancy but i cant see any positives from a member stand point, from a donator stand point, or from a sponsors stand point

all i can say is i hope the sponsors were notified of this "change" of ownership prior to this thread being opened , and i hope that current sponsors actually continue to benefit from this forum ,i think alot of business is generated from this forum and this brand of social media and I would hate to see locals get the squeeze trying to compete,

has anyone else checked out these other forums?, spoken to members of these forums , how has these changes affect those forums>?
whatever the case my 2 cents,

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Hello Guys,

I just wanted to take the time myself to thank everyone over the years for your participation and involvement in the forum. You have been a great support system and great members overall. I just want to reiterate that just because BCAQUARIA has taken new ownership does not mean there will not be most of the same people running it. The only aspect is the legal ownership has changed from one person to another. The overall local bca atmosphere wont change much or at all. Vertical Scope is very much about "dont fix what aint broken" .

I know vertical scope is based out of Toronto so they are a Canadian company. But just based on that does not mean this will turn into a non local site, heck it's called BC Aquaria.. that will never change. We have sponsors from ALL over bc that we have built GREAT relationships with over the past 4-5 years.. we have a amazing classified section dedicated to people in BC, we have meet and greets for only people in BC. The atmosphere will stay the same and i think most of you wont even notice a difference.

With all my free time now i'll be able to relax and recharge my batteries and maybe even be able to create new threads and get back into the hobby a little bit more. Please feel free to message me if anyone has questions or needs help in the future. I'm always here still :)

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
From what I read the reaction is mixed. A lot of the disgruntled were boat rockers who were no longer tolerated or admins who thought they were personally owed for their time. Some communities thrive others dwindle regardless of owners. The advertisements and sponsorship fee complaints are also relative to what they were prior to ownership change. For all we know bca already is close to their business model. We already have adverts its just a matter if it being tuned to their portfolio rather than generic like we've had

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
2,619 Posts
to clarify im not a disgruntled boat rocker , im a concerned bca member , regardless of what you may think of me and some of the things i have posted in the past weather they were liked or of popular consensus my questions and concerns are valid

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
to clarify im not a disgruntled boat rocker , im a concerned bca member , regardless of what you may think of me and some of the things i have posted in the past weather they were liked or of popular consensus my questions and concerns are valid
I don't believe that was directed at you, as he insinuated "other" forums.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have been on this site since 2009 I haven't posted much but enjoyed reading the post I may be wrong and hope i am but I see big changes for BCA and there not for the good . I be leave its going from a warm caring site to a cold commercial site It just my two cents.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I participated in another forum that was acquired by one of these companies. The forum itself has remained largely unchanged.. People still post questions and get answers, have discussions, etc. That particular forum had a website with a ton of content attached to it that was regularly updated. Since the purchase, basically to the day, the web content has not been updated. There was a forum post with people complaining.. I'd link to it, but I can't seem to find it. I guess it got deleted :(

I came to this site to learn more about getting my aquarium up and running. I find local sites make the community better. I've definitely found that in the past 2 months.

I see it like a university: the maintenance crew makes sure everything is working smoothly so great things can happen. They don't pick the curriculum.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts