British Columbia Aquariums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Super Moderator
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I understand everyones concerns. But BCAquaria is just that B.C. Aquaria. Shawn was based out of Calgary for a few years and that didn't cause the site to lose it's localness, while I was in and out of California at the same time. It's not about where the forum owner lives. It's the internet, it's about how fast someone can address problems. Ultimately YOU the members and mods run the forum. My attendance has been spotty due to my own issues hence my sub 400 posts in almost 3 years. So obviously this forum has been able to take care of itself even when I'm gone for months at a time. Now we have a dedicated admin and tech team to address any issues on the spot.

It's still the same group of people running/modding the site with an addition to another Admin. I'm sure Yung will have a few words to say shortly. :)

·
Super Moderator
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
It's also better it was sold than closed down! A lot of forums fade as owners and admi ns lives get too busy.
Yupppp. I've gone through about 6 or 7 other partners that seemed gung ho to be part of BCA. Once they lose interest in the hobby, their dedication fades. Then basically never hear from them again. Shawn was basically the last guy that stuck it out with me (heh heh remember he got banned for spamming on BCA).

I remember when Shawn first came on board and made some major changes, alot of people weren't too happy in the beginning. Just takes time to adjust, most the sponsors are still local. Support them, they support the site, and that keeps everything local.

·
Administrator
305 Posts
Morning everyone,

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I'm going to do my best to address some of the questions/comments posted:

1. Verticalscope is based out of Toronto. As such, so am I.

2. I don't currently own any fish. I use to but in my current living situation, it's not practical.

3. I am not just a techie. My function here will be to work with the moderators to ensure this site is a well-oiled machine. It's not my way or the highway.

4. Yes, if you Google hard enough, you will find bad things written about VS. I did that when I first got here. :) That said, it's in the past (check the dates of the stuff written). We've made mistakes in the past but the best part about it is that we learned from them and I have personally seen VS become way way more involved in what the community wants. That doesn't mean we're an endless supply of resources at everyone's beck and call but I sincerely mean it when I say we listen and for the most part, we implement what is given to us in feedback from the moderators, from the community. There will always been things that we have to take a stand on and say "no" but I can't predict what those will be.

5. Are we a for profit company? Yes.

6. Are we planning major changes to the site? Nope. Not that I'm aware of. Then again, there may be things that you guys have been hoping for but there wasn't the resources to make it happen before (to no one's fault)... that might be a plus depending on how you view it. :)

7. Are we going to spam this site with ads? I would encourage you guys to look around our Petguide.com sites we manage. I would say that 95% of them haven't been changed in terms of the look with the exception of a fresh update (i.e. new skin) every now and then. Even then, those don't happen unless the moderators and/or community members ask for it. There were some sites that we've updated over the year that had to be just because they looked like they were designed during the web explosion in the late 90's. As for ads, again, I would encourage you to look around our other sites as a logged in user and judge for yourself. From what I've seen, it's really not that much different than what you guys have here.

8. Sponsors

I'm loving that this site has local sponsors. I can't speak to how the whole sales and marketing part works because that's not my area. I will say this: On many of our dog sites, the communities are very against breeders advertising. As a result, we ensure that breeders cannot advertise at all. We also run Google ads and sometimes, these sneaky deaky breeders slip through the cracks. When that happens, we make sure to block any links requested by the community. I'm telling you this because if you see an ad here that goes against the values of this community, I'm one PM away from having it blocked.

Additionally, I would ask for a little patience to allow myself to get to know the community and to know the moderators. This will help me provide feedback to the S&M team and give them a profile of what kind of sponsors they should target for this community.

9. Finally, I am a Leafs fan. This alone should win me lots of sympathy votes. :) I'm hoping that Brian Burke doesn't get suckered into taking on Luongo's albatross of a contract.

If I missed anything, ask away. We have nothing to hide. Not even my good looks. :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Well, Surprise indeed!!

Thank you both Clarence and Shawn for this wonderful place we call BCA!! You really did a helluva thing!! ;)

and, Welcome Yungster, I hope things go well for you here!

cheers

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
This is the most recent pic I could find of myself. I'm not very photogenic ya know. ;) I've been told I look like someone famous but I can't quite pinpoint who it is. :)
Ah yes you are good looking.. you remind me of a ... older me.. more wrinkles...

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Welcome Yungster. Shawn and Clarence, thanks for all the hard work. Good to know you'll still be around as well.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
You get absolutely no sympathy from me whatsoever... Until your leafs take bobby lou off our hands... Then you get all the sympathy you want lol

Sent via the Shining.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Life is all about change and change is good.

Think about it this way:
You do water changes in your tank; your fish will get stressed a bit during that time, but overall they are happier after the water change. We are the fish in this case :p

Welcome to the forum Yung.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Life is all about change and change is good.

Think about it this way:
You do water changes in your tank; your fish will get stressed a bit during that time, but overall they are happier after the water change. We are the fish in this case :p

Welcome to the forum Yung.
That is the best analogy :). It's just a water change.

Leafs?!??! They're turning colour and falling down from trees right now. J/Bugging.

Such a new refreshing day out here in BCA today. *breathes the air* ahhhhh...fresh.

Welcome yungster

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Clarence & Shawn I want to say thanks for all you have done with BCA.

Yungster welcome to the BCA family. I am open for change and hope that when things change we can all change with it.

To all other members stay strong and positive and this transition will be smooth and simple.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts