British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done it? Looking to get some african cichlids from the states because nobody will ship to Canada. Just wondering if you think I will be fine getting through customs?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Did it yesterday via Blaine and the agent didn't even look up as I declared it. I went in to pay some duties as I brought back alot of stuff and declared it again inside, the other agent also did not seem to react like it was something out of the ordinary. No special duties, just HST. Reading the CBSA site, it seems the only issue would be for CITES listed fish. I know that shipping direct to Canada, there's usually a bit of importation paperwork that needs to be filled out....but I've never had to do that driving back. I guess they could force you to do it, but as usual with these things, ymmv. I'd get as much livestock locally if possible. Let the vendor take the risk on dealing with DOA's...its such a hassle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I get my fish sent to me in the US and bring them back. tony1928 is right and only "restricted fish" is an issue. However..... in 2011 fish importation falls under food and drug department(???) and this may change.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem...unless you were bringing in species listed by CITES. If that was the case you'd have to bring them through Blaine (with the appropriate permits) and declare them to USFWS first.

If you do bring some fish in, please let us know how it goes. I've been thinking of bringing some inverts in through Pt. Roberts...

·
Registered
264 Posts
I get my fish sent to me in the US and bring them back. tony1928 is right and only "restricted fish" is an issue. However..... in 2011 fish importation falls under food and drug department(???) and this may change.
If it moves to food and drug that's going to be interesting.
Would that mean you need a Phyto certificate? We see that all the time in loads coming into Versa Colds' new plant. But the paperwork is half the time incorrect, and not caught at the border!
I suspect the only issue with Pt. Roberts is that it's an "oddball" import location, so you're going to get noticed. I'd bring through Blaine and the truck crossing.
Importers also (esp. Hawaii, California, and Oregon) should really give their head a shake when in comes to Vancouver. We're closer and warmer than most of their U. S. shipments! The key there is to FLY the shipment. The airport is the only way to go.
We brought fresh cut steaks up from Seattle and it was cheaper and faster to fly a skid, not to mention they don't have the mentality you may run into at a land crossing. And clean your vehicle out, including under the mats.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
As of march 2011 you will need permits for some species. Including, goldfish, guppies, barbs, gouramis et etc ..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts