British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago i bought some fish from a store and put them in my main tankwhich was a hige mistake . After two weeks i spotted some white spots on my fish. One clown loach 7 years old died due to this sickness. I started to treat with Kordan ich .Raised the temperature, added some salt just to be safe side . I got ich-x as well and added

Please advise what else could be done and what else medications i can use to treat the tank.

thanks
Water Underwater Organism Fish Fin

Water Botany Organism Fish Underwater

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've never had velvet before so I can't completely rule this option out, but it looks more like epistylis than ich, since ich doesn't really affect the eyes. I've treated epistylis before tho, and I can say that raising heat will likely kill your fish since heat doesn't really help it, instead it speeds up infection. So for sure lower your temperature to the 24-25 region asap.

What I did to fix it was combining the Ich-X that you're currently using and an antibiotic like Kanaplex or Maracyn 2 in the food binded by Seachem focus. Epistylis isn't really what kills the fish, but rather the secondary infection which is why you need an antibiotic. Sadly meds like these are banned in Canada and are hard to get without paying high shipping, I don't have any more atm.

Before that tho, I was actually recommended by the owner of AquaristsAcrossCanada to do a potassium permagranate dip, which actually really helped the recovery. Think this is more commonly used for kois and pond fish. I have some if you can't find any.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never had velvet before so I can't completely rule this option out, but it looks more like epistylis than ich, since ich doesn't really affect the eyes. I've treated epistylis before tho, and I can say that raising heat will likely kill your fish since heat doesn't really help it, instead it speeds up infection. So for sure lower your temperature to the 24-25 region asap.

What I did to fix it was combining the Ich-X that you're currently using and an antibiotic like Kanaplex or Maracyn 2 in the food binded by Seachem focus. Epistylis isn't really what kills the fish, but rather the secondary infection which is why you need an antibiotic. Sadly meds like these are banned in Canada and are hard to get without paying high shipping, I don't have any more atm.

Before that tho, I was actually recommended by the owner of AquaristsAcrossCanada to do a potassium permagranate dip, which actually really helped the recovery. Think this is more commonly used for kois and pond fish. I have some if you can't find any.
thanks i will let you know,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts