British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a betta awhile ago at petland.
When I purchase it, it stated that it is a female betta. However, when my bro comes to my home, he said it is a male betta. How could I tell if my betta is female or male? It also looks like male to me, maybe pet store marked it wrongly. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,300 Posts
Is it blowing a bubble nest? This would be a tell-tale sign it was a male. FWIW… It does look to be a male to me as well.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it blowing a bubble nest? This would be a tell-tale sign it was a male. FWIW… It does look to be a male to me as well.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It did not create any bubble nest. I had it for half year already.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh, tough one!

I think female if it's over a year old, but it does have quite long caudal, anal, and dorsal fins for a female. I see short ventral fins though, and those usually get very long on a male. I also think I see an egg spot in that last photo--is there one? It's a small white spot between the anal and ventral fins on the body, usually indicates it's a female. Finally, the body is much more robust like a female when seen from above. The way to tell 100% is to shine a light through the fish and see if you can spot ovaries, but that's going to be tricky with a dark blue fish!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[
Oh, tough one!

I think female if it's over a year old, but it does have quite long caudal, anal, and dorsal fins for a female. I see short ventral fins though, and those usually get very long on a male. I also think I see an egg spot in that last photo--is there one? It's a small white spot between the anal and ventral fins on the body, usually indicates it's a female. Finally, the body is much more robust like a female when seen from above. The way to tell 100% is to shine a light through the fish and see if you can spot ovaries, but that's going to be tricky with a dark blue fish!
I look carefully today, there is a white spot under the body. So she should be a female.
:D thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts