British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my tank running not too long ago. I used the fluval biological enhancer stuff that supposed to help establish you tank in a few days. Says "add fish immediately". I did not use my kit to measeure until about a week after. It came up with a slight trace of ammonia and a bit of nitrate. When cycling a tank, are these numbers supposed to be through the roof? Just wondering if the biological enhancer pretty much did its job or if it's done nothing. Was thinking about putting in a few danios to see how they do.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
How big is your tank? What source of ammonia are you using? Using fish or household ammonia? If fish - how many and what kind? If you are getting traces of nitrate, that is a good sign. What are the ammonia and nitrate readings? Lots of plants would be absorbing much of nitrogen wastes, so you may be cycled, but it will be cycled to the amount of livestock you have in your tank. Adding more fish may cause it to go through a mini-cycle again but that's easily controllable with water changes and tests.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Currently my ammonia is at 0-0.25. Nitrite 0. Nitrate around 5. For cycling I really only used the fluval biological enhancer, put in fish flakes a few times and had a few neons in there for a few days but they died. Didn't really know what I was doing. I thought that I could just use the biological enhancer and follow the label that says add fish immediately. I read some reviews on it and lots of people say it established their tanks quick. Should I just monitor tonwait for everything to go down to 0. My friend has a fish tank. Should I ask to take some of his media and do that instead?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Just make sure you feed the bio or it will just keep dying off. I usually look for a free hardy fish to cycle a new tank. Usually takes 3-4 weeks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should I go that route with the fish or my friend has an established tank. Take some of his media into my filter?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sure, add some media from an established tank. It should help. (At least, I see no reason why it would hurt the cycle.) Just make sure it does not dry out at all when transporting from the other tank to yours. Also, it should not be subjected to a large change in temperature - up or down - while on the move. :lol:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
And don't forget you need to feed that bio with fish poop or pure ammonia (found mine at home depo)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Think I'm just going to go ahead and get my friends media and put it in my filter. After a few days I'll probably go and get a few hardy fish to see how it goes. Would that work?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Don't wait a few days - you need to feed the seeded media with a source of ammonia/nitrite soon to build up nitrifiers otherwise they'll die off to the level of the food source available.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. I've got a 45 gallon with Eco complete and no plants currently. How many fish should I put and what kind. 6 danios?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
You don't really know until you try. Your used media might be loaded with nitrifying bacteria and ready to go or it may not support a guppy. Ideally you start off a fish load equal to the one that you want to end with so that means a month or 2 of monitoring ammonia, nitrite and look for nitrates. That's why I like fishless cycling - it takes all the guess work of whether the media can handle the fish load or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts