British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ok, told you I know nothing about shrimp :eek: they must be tiny, what size are they?
Tiny tiny. I've asked for a magnifying glass from Santa 🎅. I think you will find them very interesting with how they take care of the eggs. I find mine like to give birth in the current but with that said I've had others go under the wood to hide. Excited to see the babies!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
359 Posts

Here's a yellow baby about 2 weeks old

There is a red about the same age.

Unfortunately I got some shrimp a little while ago and they must of had something because I lost just about my whole colony

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Congrats, thats a healthy looking pregnant shrimp.
I just want to point out that your shrimp is not a crystal red shrimp. Those belong to a different genus entirely.

You have neocaridina davidi var. red, also commonly known as the cherry shrimp.
You'll see dozens upon dozens of babies in no time. The females carry their eggs for about a month and produce offspring that are identical to the adults.

Great beginner shrimp and are fairly hardy. Best of luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I didn't understand the magnifying glass comment.. got it now lol ..

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think so :( or hopefully in hiding ... they are sooo tiny - a little bigger than one tropica plant soil substrate

·
Registered
414 Posts
I must be totally blind, even with a magnifying glass can't see any babies. Could they have been a snack for someone? The biggest fish is a LF pepper corie.
I know this isn't relevant to the OP anymore, but I recently had some shrimpettes too...and was worried they were all fish snacked. I saw them the first day or two, and couldn't find them after. At the 1 week mark. I found some again hiding in the mosses after the aquarium lights normally go off. Try looking at night.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.