British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if this stand seems adequete/sturdy enough to support my 60x18x20 tank and possible sump underneath? I purchased tank together with stand from a guy off CL a couple years back and have yet to set it up. Open to any and all opinions for peace of mind before setting up permanently!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
It apears to have the vertical load strength.

but I see no lateral support a bump on one end my be sufficient to topple it.

I'd like to see a diagonal brace or fill in a portion the back or front to act as stiffners/brace

·
Registered
353 Posts
I used to have a similar stand - skin the back with a sheet of 1/4 inch ply and it will stiffen it up considerably.

Not sure about the shelf supporting a sump of any size. The photos show limited detail but it looks like in the middle the horizontal boards running front to back & supporting the planks running lengthwise are probably held with mechanical fasteners of some kind. It could probably hold a small sump, but I wouldn't trust it with one of any size.

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
For piece of mind, skin it (and secure with multiple screws) with some 1/4 plywood as suggested and add a piece on the "shelf" whether or not you are adding a sump, cause if stuff falls between the slats, it'll be a PITA to get them out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For piece of mind, skin it (and secure with multiple screws) with some 1/4 plywood as suggested and add a piece on the "shelf" whether or not you are adding a sump, cause if stuff falls between the slats, it'll be a PITA to get them out.
I used to have a similar stand - skin the back with a sheet of 1/4 inch ply and it will stiffen it up considerably.

Not sure about the shelf supporting a sump of any size. The photos show limited detail but it looks like in the middle the horizontal boards running front to back & supporting the planks running lengthwise are probably held with mechanical fasteners of some kind. It could probably hold a small sump, but I wouldn't trust it with one of any size.
It apears to have the vertical load strength.

but I see no lateral support a bump on one end my be sufficient to topple it.

I'd like to see a diagonal brace or fill in a portion the back or front to act as stiffners/brace
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Was thinking of skinning anyhow hood to hear from someone else here are some more pictures of thow its held together.

Attachments

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,253 Posts
I see you are in Chilliwack also welcome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts