British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
oh man, what happened this time? Everytime I went, their stocks seem low, I always thought that was because people kept buying all the good stuff quick...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Nothing out of the ordinary. The sales target to break even (water, gas, electricity, employees) is high and hard to reach especially when you aren't consistent (due to various of issues.) Not too surprising but still really sad to see it go, it had potential to become another top class lower mainland LFS.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I guess they cant find new location to relocated the shop. This come out of no where as well because I was there Wednesday to get Pymgy Cory and had chat with Brad.

Oh well...

So many condo be build and yet GVA condo price is still sky high. Sad..

·
Registered
379 Posts
oh man, what happened this time? Everytime I went, their stocks seem low, I always thought that was because people kept buying all the good stuff quick...
Land be sold to re-developed into condos. I believe they were looking for new locations but haven't have much luck due to regulation and stuff.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Yes they are knocking the block down. The trouble is moving is like starting from scratch all over again with all Reno costs and a huge undertaking with fish shops
Too bad .
Their lease there was about 18 k a month!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
I expected this to happen sooner or later. Ever since it became island pet when Grant bought out of the big al franchise, they were already not competitive in the dry goods end of things but their fresh water fish selection was still decent and competitive. But ever since Grant sold the store, everything went downhill and the price of the fish are not even competitive most of the time and the condition of the fish were just not that great...I was there recently for a few times and I can say aside from the betta, I was not confident in buying any livestock there

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
As far as I'm concerned the writing was on the wall when they closed the Burnaby store. It's a tough business and hard to make it in today's economy.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I'm surprised they survived as long as they did. Appreciated the efforts of the various owners over the years but pretty sharp downhill slide since their Big Al's glory days when they were a well stocked full line shop. Very costly to start fresh.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Well they were thinking about a warehouse but maybe it didn't work out. It didn't say moving or relocating sale. I guess it's wait and see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sad to see another Local Fish store close.
I have good memories of going to the old Big Al's and the Island Pets in Burnaby and Richmond.

i can understand how difficult it may be to run such a large store in a business for hobbiests.

The Petsmarts of the world can never replace good aquarium stores like Island Pets.

I hope we can all continue to support smaller local stores, and keep these stores around for our kids to enjoy.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well.. That is all we can do just wait and see. Anyway I went there to pick up some food, seachem prime and stability Saturday Saturday and they were really busy. (There were a lot of people there to take advantage of closing sale.)

Brad was too busy to chat and Marina was swarm by customers and phone calls. I do notice there are store for lease near by but Brad told me the owner had to deal with the city regulation and stuff.

Speak of Petsmart.. There will be a new petsmart in Metrotown station square. Pet habitat is going to be in big trouble, (close to 8 dollars for cardinal tetra.. smh..)thou pet habitat is the only store sell puppy now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
to be honest I'm surprised pet habitat is still around
does anybody actually buy fish there? double to triple the price of other places easily

1 - 20 of 37 Posts