British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

It's not looking good out there.

5K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Saul 
#1 ·
I made the rounds of fish stores in Chilliwack on Saturday.
First time in years.
It doesn't look good.:(
I was looking for a glass top for my 65 gallon tank.
Nobody has that size available except Petsmart.
But the only way you can get one is to buy the whole set up, tank, stand, light and glass top. :rolleyes:
They can't order one in separately. :confused:
So I guess if you buy the whole 65 gallon system from them and happen to break one of the glass tops in the future they can't even help you with a replacement.
At least they have crickets. :)
Oh well I'll just have to keep going to ones out of town.

#2 ·
I know Charles use to cut glass-tops. Not sure if he still does.
Im sure a sponsor on here might be able to order one in? If not, you can always go to a glass/mirror shop to get one custom cut to your size. Then they, or you can fabricate some kind of handle onto it.
Hope that helps.

p.s. Would love to see a pic of your 220g turtle tank! What kind of turtles?

#3 · (Edited)
I was hoping to get pre made ones, but I may have to check local glass shops.
My cousin had a glass shop and I had him make glass tops for my 210 gallon.
Unfortunately he is no longer in the business.
The tank on the right is the turtle tank.
The tank on the left is now a Dart frog vivarium.
Used to be turtles.
Although I am thinking of changing it back to fish.
Table Wood Building Curtain Computer

I have 2 Mississippi Map turtles
2 False Map turtles
2 Australian red bellied side necks
And 1 Northern Diamondback Terrapin.
I used to have 19 but have been cutting back the last couple of years.

#6 ·
Yeah it's all pretty basic here. Atleast Mr.pets carries cemex sand.
But yeah in terms of fish stock or finding any type of item that isn't standard, you won't find it here. Gotta order online or make the drive. Pretty bad if you need an extra sponge filter you have to wait a week, or spend $30 in gas. Mr.pets doesn't carry any of the fish stock it has on it's site, and if you want any plants that aren't basic you gotta buy them online. One pet store goes away and the same thing replaces it. It's becoming a trending cycle.

#8 ·
Go to crystal glass in chilliwack. Ask for second or recycled piece. Don't rush him and bring cash and he is extremely reasonable in my opinion. He knows me by name as I have purchased son much from him

#10 ·
If you are going with diy route and your tank has trims that can sit the glass in you can get a "slider" at homedepot. In the isle where they have the foam insulation for doors and windows. And other stop draft items, they have a white plastic F piece. You can use it to glide the glass on it. If you need picture I can snap what I did on mine

#13 ·
Agree with DINO. Ordered (on the phone) a 3mm thick plain glass cut to 9" x 20" for a 40-litre tank (i.e. basic window pane glass). No deposit required. Requested that edges be filed smooth (but not bevelled). Picked it up later the same say. Charged me $6 . . . but I gave the man $10 for doing such a great job so quickly. I wouldn't hesitate to go to him again if I needed more glass for an aquarium cover.

#15 ·
If you don't mind the drive Pet Lovers in Abbotsford just moved into a bigger space in the same building they were in before (across the lobby). They might not have everything but they're a good alternative and offer much more than anyone in Chilliwack.

#17 ·
I didn't know either. I drive by a few weeks ago and had a minor freakout when their space was empty and signs had been taken down. I ended up driving around the building and parking to go in and investigate. They're now located directly across the lobby in what used to be the old dollar store. Was really glad to see Rob and his people are still going strong at a time when so many aquarium businesses are downsizing or shutting down.

#18 ·
I stopped in on friday on my way home from work.
The new store is a lot bigger than the old store.
The fish section is a lot bigger.
Rob said they had been in there about 2 and a half months.
I picked up some anubius and a nice java fern for my new goldfish tank.

#19 ·
Found the right size glass top finally. :)
I found it at Roger's which is where I should have gone first to begin with.
It was cheaper and better quality (thicker glass) than any of the tops I saw anywhere else.

#26 ·
I stopped in Friday night hoping to get some more duckweed for my goldfish but they were out.
They have to wait for more to grow.
I tried feeding peas tonight instead. The fish seemed to like them.
I think I may try making my first batch of soilet green tonight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.