British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 6 java fern youngsters growing from the leaves of the mother plant. Biologically, it makes sense that they would detach on their own, but I was wondering if there was a chance that I am supposed to manually pry them from the mother. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
I would think in the nature, they will easily be detached by the constant river current. But that isn’t the case in every plant tanks, if not, like you suggested, it’s simple enough to just pull them off the mother leaves.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have baby Javas growing from mother leaves as well. I never know if I am suppose to remove them after a certain size. Sometimes it just weighs down the plant so I pull them off.

At first I thought Java's reproduced from spores under the leaves. I was surprised when babies started sprouting.

·
Registered
700 Posts
When they grow big enough they will detach themselves because the Mother javafern leaf the baby plant grows from will start to rot and turn black and they will float off.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Just cut them off, help the process out, you'll be replanting it regardless, might as well do it when it's most convenient for you.

Just cut off below the roots, and make sure you pluck off any leaves up the stem that will br otherwise rooted into the soil and rot away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts