British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Yes, I had a few cans of beer already! I had a long day at work and hurt my back yesterday from moving something at work! And guess what? @#$% Jello CO2! Yes, if you like to support it, GREAT, by all means, cuz I could care less! I've read tons of articles and fact of what could happen and horror stories online, BUT NO, I don't like to believe them! Guess what? As I'm at work, almost about to leave, my wifey calls me in panic "HALF YOUR TANK IS DEAD"! WHAT? Yes, the jello CO2 that I started trying early this month started pumping jello in my tank! NO, it didn't explode! I rather it exploded and got it everywhere! :mad: But no, it pumped jello in my tank and wiped out what I care for most! I am devastated and completely upset, cuz this ain't your horror story, this is your LOCAL fishy community friends!!!

If you're doing Jello DIY CO2, take it out, I ain't even joking! DIY CO2, great, used it for months and no problem, but look, JELLO CO2 JUST PLAIN SUCKS!!!!
Excuse my language, but finding DEAD denisoni barbs, kutubu rainbows, 4 inch congo tetras, and triple red cockatoos, ain't friggin cool one bit!!!

Here are pictures from 2 days ago before water change... and right now... when I'm changing water and trying to save all the fish with the wifey!
They are in a quarintine bucket!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I overdid my DIY co2 and added alot of yeast once and the solution came pouring into my shrimp tank. I CHanged gallons of water nonstop for a whole hour only one casualty. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel like crying at the moment.. and I feel like drowning the person who thought about jello co2! Mods.. sorry, but honestly.. dumb mistake, and i'm devastated!

I dun think anyone personally would understand how I feel right now except the members on this forum!

·
Registered
318 Posts
whoa...*beeeeeep*....sorry to hear and see your loss...sh*t happen..but it hurts more if it's a fellow bca member...hope all turn out better...fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys!Q
I am taking a break while my wifey is on it! She wuz devastated like she wuz crying over the fone when she called me! I can only tell you one thing.. if you're on Jello CO2, pull that crap out.. it aint worth losing any fish...!
I have my whole tank ripped apart.. my wife asked me a easy question "Is it okay if I destroy all your plants to try to catch as many fish possible?".. "yes, ofcourse, shred them up, save as many lives as you possibbly can"!
I feel terrible.. as I definitely did not expect this!
I will not EVER use soemthing that I think is good for the fish, instead, I rather buy fish supplies!..
With the amount of fish that has died so far.. i could of bought myself a cheap CO2 system.. instead.. i wanted to save mone first.. i will definitely not make that mistake again!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Oh I am so sorry for your loss eternity302, I hope that the rest are going to make it. What a hard way to learn what not to do.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I know how this feels....I didnt have a jello co2 f**K up my tank, my power went out and went it came back on the filters and air pumps didnt start...Im really sorry you lost sooooo many fishy friends

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want to thank everyone for being so understand!
As I said, I definitely would pull out wutever DIY CO2 you have, as you don't want to end up like me! And this ain't no regular horror story, this is your local fishy member!

Anyways, All fish has no choice but to go back in... 100% water changed! But ofcourse, I pulled out 50% of the water from a 29gallon, and from another 5 gallon, and another 5 gallon!
So I guess it wont be too bad!
Lets pray nothing is worst! I will post up the casualties in a bit.. after another can of beer and a cigarette!
Guess the ironic thing is? I just bought a xp3, fluval 203, fluval 303 just to give additional filters to this tank and a future tank... god i hate myself!

·
Registered
318 Posts
yah ...just add some prime and get the filters going ..and hope for the best...wish u and your tank residents the best..

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks VinnyD!
Just added prime! Glad that over the years, I had quite a few different tools around!
Got some extra added conditioner! Cleaned my eheim 2215 and 2x fluval 3 plus and a powerhead!
On top added prime, neutral ph regulator and that's about it! Praying that the ammonia remover, carbon, and crushed coral will do it's thing!
Everyone doesn't seem to have a great slime coat, but it's looking better!

As for casualties, here goes...
sux.. but I hafta say it:
Threadfin Rainbowfish 1.5" or so $14
Parkinsoni Rainbowfish 3" $18
Kutubu Rainbowfish 3"+ $12
Congo Tetra x 2, 3" + 4" $15
Denisoni Barb 3" $25
Apistogramma Triple Red 2" or less $13
Dwarf Parrot x 3, 2" or less $2 each

Yah.. it hurts... really does! could care less about the money right now... but soooo sooo super sad!

·
Registered
318 Posts
yah..it hurts and sad when u see pets pass away..especially if you could've prevented it...we just learn from the mistakes and take precautions...i did the diy co2...let it on at night...ph lowered...casualties.....then there was the heat wave last summer....sad

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
been through both of them!
My wifey's turtle thats been with her for 5 years... died last year becuz of the heatwave!
Trust me... it's a big thing for her.. she's only 20... so 5 years.. it's a quarter of her life... sigh~

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Sorry for your loss man.... It sucks when this sort of thing happens. I hate to say it, but its an inherent risk no matter the method of diy co2 you use. There will be horror stories out there always about it, and a few of us will have our own.

But DiY remains the reality for many, Whether it be jello or the standard co2 2L water solution. That is why most people look for mixes from others experience, to help find the tried tested and true balanced mixture. The jello method has been around for a very long time, even Rex Grigg (master of co2 equipment) uses it on his smaller tanks. I hate to sound like a douche, but people wont give up on diy, because in the majority of cases no issues happen, and its dirt cheap to set up. I cant afford a co2 tank and the equipment needed for it, and many others cant.

Rather than tell many of us to scrap our diy setups because yours did lots of damage, why not try to help us pin point the cause of it.

ie. What was your:
mix
type of yeast
Capacity and shape of jug
Soft or hard jug
Was the line sealed into the cap, or stuck through
how was it fed into the tank (directly to cannister, airstone, venturi powerhead, chopstick in line?)
Was the tank above, below, or at substrate level?
Was your mix heated, or near any sources of heat (ie sun, heating vent)

Don't take this as me not caring, i hate losing fish, and i especially hate losing plants, so you definately have my sympathy.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HAH! somehow I knew you'd defend the DIY Co2, but nonetheless, I would rather pull it out! But as you said, anything will have their ups and downs, even a co2 regulator and canister can fail on you! But honestly, i would definitely not do this again!

As for the mixture, dun remember, have it written down somewhere, will post tomorrow once I have the strength... just finished.. oh god.. it's 2am!
yeast - the ones they sell in jars at save on foods and safeway, the one with yellow label
the line wuz sealed with silicone bought from rona!
it wuz fed into the tank with the intake of my fluval plus 3
the tank is well below, i would say the co2 sits 1.5-2 feet lower than the tank
the lines were also around 6 foot long!
I mix wuz fridge over night when made, then used next day with luke warm distilled water (aquafina water) with yeast added
There are absolutely no sources of heat nearby at all, it sits under the tank, inside the cabinet

hope this helps neven.. as I will definitely not give this another try, but hope the info so far will help you narrow down everything! I'm going to crash now! Will talk to u later!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts