British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was thinking about starting a jellyfish tank. I am only in the beginning research phase. I am wondering if anyone here keeps jellyfish and if you do share some insight and wisdom with me.

Thank you in advance,
Ray

·
Registered
148 Posts
well I have never kept them but I know that you would need special filtration since they only move in the water current not on their own.
Also you would need a tank with no corners since they would just get stuck so no square tanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
The only jellyfish species that you can keep relatively easily is the Cassaiopia or upside down jelly.

The regular ones need a specially built tank that creates the upward diffuse flow without any bubbles or harsh flow.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Kreisel aquariums are what you are looking for to keep most species of Jellyfish. As Anthony pointed out, upside down Jellies are the exception but clearly not as visually exciting as most. There are a few books available on maintaining them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was thinking about starting a jellyfish tank. I am wondering if anyone here keeps jellyfish and if you do share some insight and wisdom with me.
Hi Ray,

Did you ever get your jellyfish tank up and running? Or, how is the research/dreaming going?

I have kept a couple of jellyfish tanks (one from Jellyfish Art which I don't have much nice to say about) and currently have a 35 gallon tank (DIY kreisel) running with 3 Moon JellyFish (Aurelia aurita) living in it. The biggest trick to jellyfish is to (as mentioned) get/make a proper kreisel aquarium for them! After that they are actually not really all that demanding. Although if you're bad at maintaining a regular maintenance schedule, don't do it.

When I'm not running around trying to get out the door for work, I can post a little more info. If you (or anyone else) have any questions, please post them and I'll do what I can to help out.

Get this book... How to Keep Jellyfish in Aquariums: An Introductory Guide for Maintaining Healthy Jellies - Chad L. Widmer

Cheers,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
When I was at Aquarium's West last, they had a jellyfish tank up and running on their counter. It may be worth a look.

Best regards,

Stuart

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
No idea what-so-ever, BUT I'm sure a call to them would clear up any mystery :D!

Best Regards,

Stuart

1 - 13 of 13 Posts