British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(have something in the works at the moment, mind as well jump the gun and get a journal started while there's free time...STAY TUNED)

A Start to a New Beginning - Amazon Basin Theme

CURRENT SETUP:

• Tank: 75 gallon (48x18x21)
  • Substrate: Caribsea Instant Aquarium Sunset Gold
  • Filtration: Rena Filstar xP4, Large sponge filter
  • Filter Media: Seachem Matrix, Filtration pads. Oyster shell
  • Lighting: Marineland Double Bright LED
  • Heater: Hydor ETH In-Line Heater 200w
  • pH Monitor: American Marine Pinpoint
  • Powerhead: Tunze Turbelle Nanostream Pump - 6025

PARAMETERS:

• pH = 5.5
  • Temp.: ~30.5°C
  • GH: ~3 dGH (~50ppm)
  • KH: ~1 dKH (~15ppm)

FAUNA:

• Corydoras Robineae (Mrs. Schwartzi's, Bannertail Corydoras)
  • Brochis Splendens (Emerald Corydoras)
  • Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis (Lemon Tetra)
  • Hyphessobrycon copelandi (Copeland's Tetra)
  • Hemigrammus rhodostomus (True Rummynose Tetra)
  • L134 Peckoltia Compta (Leopard Frog Pleco)
  • Crenicara punctulata ('Checkerboard' Cichlid var.)
  • Symphysodon aequifaciatus aequifaciatus (Putumayo Royal Spotted Green Discus)
  • Symphysodon Heckel (Nhamunda Blue faced Heckel)

FLORA:

• Echinodorus Amazonicus (Amazon sword)
  • Vallisneria nana

FURNISHINGS:

• Manzanita driftwood
  • Natural River Rocks

Additional CO2 Source:

• Metricide

Dosing:

• NPK Macro-nutrient mix
  • CSM+B Miconutrient mix
  • DIY Root Capsules
  • Seachem Prime
  • Seachem Equilibrium
  • Epsom Salt
  • Kent's Botonica Humic and Tanic Acid
  • Amy's Ketapang Almond Leaves
  • Almond Catappa Bark
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
  • Frequency of Water Changes: Twice per week (as at March 1, 2013, will increase in future)
  • % Water change: 50%+
  • Estimated cost of setup (not including livestock): $750+
  • Estimate weekly maintenance time spent: 2 hour
  • pH from the tap: 6.8
  • "Tank influences/inspirations": (South American theme: 2wheels2, tony1928, luke78, josephl, mykiss, charles, killifishkerry) (Tank simplicity: crazy72, bunnyrabbit, davej)
  • Fish purchased from: Fantasy Aquatics, Canadian Aquatics
  • Equipment and supplies purchased from:J&L Aquatics, BCA member, ebay, Ken's
  • Aquatic plants purchased from: Amazon sword from Fraser Aquariums in 2000, Val nana from Fantasy Aquatics
  • Type of food you feed your fish: Earthworm pellets, shrimp pellets, NLS, Freeze-dried blackworms, frozen bloodworms, live bloodworms, red wrigglers, ibunch of other ken's stuff
  • Water test kit used: API master test kit, GH/KH
Preview picture:

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Day 1:

Progressing at a snail's pace but managed to move the tank and stand into place. Just wanted to thank Gary, Tony, Dave, and my brother for helping me move this from ninez place. If I was well, probably could have done it all myself :). But wasn't as strong as Dave who managed to move the stand all my himself.

The tank at it's former residence at ninez. Thanks again ninez, great guy to deal with and great transaction experience. Everyone I have dealt with on BCA have been great to date.

And now.....and so it begins....first the stand tight into my room.

On the tank rests on the stand beautifully.

And at 3:30am, finished uploading the pictures to end the previous journal and to begin this journal.

Fish are all being housed in their temporary tank. Unfortunately, a bit of a oversight on my part with regards to the length of the canister filter's tubing. Let's just say I'll need to run to J&L's tomorrow morning to pick up a brand new one that'll reach far enough into the tank. Through it all, to save the bacteria in the canister, I placed all three trays of Seachem matrix from the canister filter and into the rental tank, placed an airstone underneath and just relax.

Plans for tomorrow:
-go J&L, pick up new tubing
-replace xp4 tubing
-install all equipment
-fill the tank
-dump the prepared tanic water
-let the tank water gets to the temp. I want
-dump fish straight back into the 75g

-go look at fish at the LFS
-and eat lunch

So until tomorrow.....

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Glad we could help you on your journey. Have you ever considered just using clear/black vinyl tubing?

Can't wait to see your tank develop. This is the best part of any tank project.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Looking forward to how this one turns out, your 33g looked awesome :)

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow. That's a lot accomplished in 1 day. Great start.
Took awhile for me to get going after the tank was brought back. I was on beast mode. Day 2 (today) wasn't as much to do. Picked up some things, took a break and visited the LFS and had lunch.

Nicely done. Are you planning to have pancake fish in the tank or 1000 cardinals?
Thanks Charles, mmmm....pancake fish, some green onions seasoned with some herbs, touch of salt...:)

Cardinals...probably more like [(1000/100)1+2]2. I think rummies would also be nice too....the possibilities...

Hey, I'm going to show as much patience as I can, I've told Gary awhile back that I'm lucky I had a small tank and can't shove anymore fish from Charles. Times have finally changed...for the bigger. You got my email....let's make it happen my friend.

I heard it was going to be an L46 breeding project. :)
Funny. Very funny! har har. It could have been but going towards another direction. Breeding fish is boring. I'll nature do it's course.

my favourite part of every day ;)
Cant wait to see the tank come together!
haha. LFS and lunch: Item checked off the list.
it's taking it's time. Takes quite a lot of time and water to fill and empty the tank...give me some downtime to upload stuff.

Looking forward to how this one turns out, your 33g looked awesome :)
Maybe it'll be a bit of a surprise. Always great to just keep people guessing but post lots of pictures. Thanks for the kind words. Got bored of the 33g, got what I got out of it. Keep your eyes out, going to be a lot of pictures for this setup.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I can't wait to see the completed set up. You can also use alder cones or roiboos tea to add tannins to your water.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Very exciting, Ming! I'm glad you're making it happen.

Make sure to take your time stocking it. Dreaming of the possibilities is absolutely part of the fun!

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Day 2:

Picked up supplies at J&L. Thank the guys there for helping me out and giving me some tips.

PIcked up a gasket set for a rainy day. Don't want to be caught having a leaky canister filter and having to post a threading asking where to find one...

Couldn't find any replacement suction cups for the intake and outflow pipes for the xP4 so decided to splurge a bit to buy these magnetic ones. I guess it'll save me money over the long-run. I'm using these two for the out-take flow pipe. The clamps don't fit snugged by still hold the pipes in place so i said to myself, hey, it works, let's just leave it.

Didn't get back to work on the tank until 5pm. So high-ho, hi-ho back to work I go.

Tony1928, saviour reminding me to get some pipe clamps as the new tubing is too wide for the stock plastic clamps. Saved me another trip out to J&L. Replaced the tubing for the quick release.

TIME TO FILL THE TANK WITH WATER: Well the time has come, the rainy season has arrived. Jobber's South American tank has begun the flood.

It took some time to fill the tank up. I then proceeded to also empty the tank to suck up and clean any left over debris. A lot of dead nematodes but that's normal for any fish tank. It took about 25~30 minutes to fill the tank up on moderate water flow, another 45 to drain it, basically taking my time as well. Use it as time to upload some pictures.

Again, ever wonder what the pH is out of the tap in Vancouver East. Well here it is....6.8

Temperature out of cold water tap today.

During the time when the tank was filling with water and while uploading pictures, I went and installed the inline heater. Took my time trying to figure out how to place the inline heater within the outflow tube. Some may know there's not much room period :), so i placed the tank about 4 inches off the wall leaving room for the tubes but not for the inline heater. So what I did was extend the tubing out to the side, installed the inline heater, and curve the tubing back in behind the tank.

Having placed some almond leaves to soak, preparing to dump it into the tank.

And finally after about 4 hours and diddling around, canister filter, powerhead, inline heater all plugged in, the tank is finally up and running.

My plans are to let the temperature in the tank to get back to about 20°C, dose the usual Seachem stability, Prime, Equilibrium, and epsom salt. Let the tank run for a few hours thereafter before I transfer the fish in the temporary tank and into their new home. I'm going to place some big flat river rocks into the take so the Loricariidae's can have some places to nestle against.

Items I am currently waiting for:
-40lbs of Caribsea instant Aquarium Sunset Gold sand from J&L Aquatics

At the moment, 40lbs should be suffice as i will be placing river rocks through the tank. This will take up some of the bottom so at this point hopefully I don't plan on needing more bags of sand thereafter.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't wait to see the completed set up. You can also use alder cones or roiboos tea to add tannins to your water.
You can't wait?!?! I CAN"T WAIT!!!! I have the worst patience getting this setup completed but I guess today was a good test of my patience. it's actually kind enjoyable this past few days setting up the tank systematically....as long as there's no stumbling blocks along the way.

I currently still have a bunch of ebay Amy's almond leaves, almond bark, and tons of driftwood. i may go find some alder trees around town. I think maybe we should do a thread on where to find alder cones in a park....thanks for the idea Dave :)

i think you should do an altum tank.
with + - 500 cardinals
True Altums? But I already have a paired up Pterophyllum scalare at home. Too boring. I thought about it and also Geophagus. I'll just contingently wait and see what you can bring in the next couple of months :)

Cardinals eh...hmmmm....probably [(500/100)*5]-1

Very exciting, Ming! I'm glad you're making it happen.
Make sure to take your time stocking it. Dreaming of the possibilities is absolutely part of the fun!
It is indeed enjoyable going through the process. Takes longer to shut down a tank than putting one together. I've dreamt this entire two weeks already :)

The best part is going through the process knowing there's also a few other guys on the forum getting some big tanks going. I guess we'll all have to wait and see when they'll start up their journals..i know one just picked up a steal of a deal for a salty tank.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You can't wait?!?! I CAN"T WAIT!!!! I have the worst patience getting this setup completed but I guess today was a good test of my patience. it's actually kind enjoyable this past few days setting up the tank systematically....as long as there's no stumbling blocks along the way.

I currently still have a bunch of ebay Amy's almond leaves, almond bark, and tons of driftwood. i may go find some alder trees around town. I think maybe we should do a thread on where to find alder cones in a park....thanks for the idea Dave :)QUOTE]

I know how you feel. I'm currently working on my wife's new angel set up. It's taking longer than I want. I just want the build to be over and done with so I can get the fish in there.. Just be careful where you are getting the alder cones from . Landscape company's and the city will be spraying lime sulfur and Dormant oil soon and that can be bad for your tank.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
During the time when the tank was filling with water and while uploading pictures, I went and installed the inline heater. Took my time trying to figure out how to place the inline heater within the outflow tube. Some may know there's not much room period :), so i placed the tank about 4 inches off the wall leaving room for the tubes but not for the inline heater. So what I did was extend the tubing out to the side, installed the inline heater, and curve the tubing back in behind the tank.
Is there a kink in that tubing or is that the picture angle? If it's at an awkward angle, you may want to get a PVC or abs elbow to prevent kinking and subsequent flow stopping once the tubing gets too warm.

1 - 20 of 249 Posts